1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is that a unbiased estimator?

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    first of all...what is an unbiased estimator??
    how to check whether a reggression provide an unbiased estimator?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2
    www.talkstats.com
    stats.stackexchange.com.

The following three events can cause biased estimators:

1) Omitted variable bias.
    2) cov(error,regressors) [itex]\not=[/itex] 0
    3) cov(regressor1, regressor2) [itex]\not=[/itex] 0
    4) Model mis-specification (eg not including a squared term when you should - do a RAMSEY RESET test).

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    An unbiased estimator is a sample function:
    [tex]
    Z_n = f(X_1, \ldots, X_n)
    [/tex]
    such that, for an i.i.d. sample with a parameter of the distribution θ that we are trying to estimate, has the property:
    [tex]
    \mathrm{E}\left[Z_n \right] = \theta
    [/tex]
    If this does not hold for a finite n, but is true as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex], then we say that the estimator is asymptotically unbiased.

In general, if the function f is some non-polynomial function, it is very hard to check the bias of the estimator. If, on the other hand, the estimator is a (symmetric) polynomial of degree p (pth moment), we may use some rules for the expectation values. For example, the mean:
    [tex]
    \bar{X}_n \equiv \frac{1}{n} \, \sum_{k = 1}^{n}{X_k}
    [/tex]
    has the property:
    [tex]
    \mathrm{E} \left[\bar{X}_n \right] = \frac{1}{n} \, \sum_{k = 1}^{n}{\mathrm{E} \left[ X_k \right]} = E \left[ X \right]
    [/tex]
    is the unbiased estimator of the mathematical expectation of the random variable X.

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4
    can i say if a regression with very low r^2 it doesnt provide unbiased estimator?

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    can i say if a regression with very low r^2 it doesnt provide unbiased estimator?

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Bias and r^2 are not really related.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook