Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is that an algebraic number?

1. May 31, 2009 #1
    is [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{5}[/tex] an algebraic number?
    i used 2 and 5 arbitrarily, try any integers (as long as they are not the same integer, in which case it is algebraic)
    I tried finding a polynomial with rational coefficients that zeros at this value, but haven't found any.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it was, its powers would span a finite dimensional vector space over Q.

4. May 31, 2009 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  5. May 31, 2009 #4
    thanks matt grime!

6. May 31, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course it is. If [itex]x= \sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] then [itex]x- \sqrt{2}= \sqrt{5}[/itex] and [itex](x- \sqrt{2})^2= x^2- 2\sqrt{2}x+ 2= 5[/itex]. Then [itex]x^2- 3= 2\sqrt{2}x[/itex] so [itex](x^2- 3)^2= x^4- 6x^2+ 9= 8[/itex]. [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] satisfies the polynomial equation [itex]x^4- 6x^2+ 1= 0[/itex] and so is algebraic.

7. May 31, 2009 #6
    HallsofIvy,
    [itex]
    (\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{2})^4-6(\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{2})^2+1 = 98.596
    [/itex]

i got a different result, for any [itex]\sqrt{a}, \sqrt{b}[/itex]
    just use [itex](\sqrt{a}+ \sqrt{b})*(\sqrt{a}- \sqrt{b})*(-\sqrt{a}+ \sqrt{b})*(-\sqrt{a}- \sqrt{b})[/itex] and expand
    i haven't read the whole article, just the start and deducted this (without proof) by factoring the polynomial they gave for 2 and 3

8. Jun 2, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks for the correction. Here's my mistake:
    instead of [itex](x^2- 3)^2= x^4- 6x^2+ 9= 8[/itex] is should have
    [itex](x^2- 3)^2= x^4- 6x^2+ 9= 8x^2[/itex]. I dropped the "x" in "[itex]2\sqrt{2}x[/itex]" when I squared.

With that correction, we get [itex]x^4- 14x^2+ 9= 0[/itex] and this time I checked, with a calculator, that [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] satisfies that equation.

Since [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] satisfies [itex]x^4- 14x^2+ 9= 0[/itex], it is algebraic.

9. Jun 8, 2009 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you can prove that the algebraic numbers form a group additively, then you are done.

10. Jun 9, 2009 #9
    jason, what do you mean "form a group additively"? I dont get it, do you mean some sort of commutative property? Although I doubt it..

11. Jun 9, 2009 #10
    It means if you add or subtract algebraic numbers from each other, you get an algebraic number.

12. Jun 9, 2009 #11
    Thats a great question. I was working on a similar question, whether e+pi was transcendental.

13. Jun 9, 2009 #12

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hah! good luck.

14. Jun 10, 2009 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never said anything about commutativity (even though in this case there is).

15. Jun 10, 2009 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Haha, yeah like CRGreathouse said, good luck.

This question is way beyond the calibre of question compared to the one in the OP.

16. Jun 10, 2009 #15

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The algebraic numbers form a field even, but that's a little tricky to prove (specifically if a and b are algebraic numbers, then a*b is too)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook