Tom Throws a Fair Dice: Finding Probabilities

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
In summary: Sorry, I mis-read the question. Your analysis of (a) is correct, so I suppose the answer in the book is wrong. That happens a lot, by the way.
kenny1999

Homework Statement

The question below, i already have the answer. but I can't work it out. Can anyone help?

Questions (Original)

In a game, Tom throws a fair dice twice. 1 point is awarded for each '6' thrown, 2 points are awarded if the sum of the two numbers thrown is prime, and no points are awarded for other outcomes. Find the probabilities that

(a) Tom gets 1 point in the game.
(b) Tom gets 2 points in the game.
(c) Tom gets at least 2 points in the game.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) There are total 36 possible results for a fair dice to be thrown twice. For each '6' thrown 1 point is awarded so there are (1,6) (2,6) (3,6) (4,6) (5,6) (6,6) and (6,1) (6,2) (6,3) (6,4) (6,5), but (6,6) is not counted because it gives two points, and (1,6) and (5,6) are also left out because they give prime number on sum.

So the desired outcomes should be (2,6)(3,6)(4,6)(6,4)(6,3)(6,2), then 6/36 = 1/6 but the answer is wrong. I am not going to say the answer but I just don't understand.

Please also explain (b) and (c) if possible. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
kenny1999 said:

Homework Statement

The question below, i already have the answer. but I can't work it out. Can anyone help?

Questions (Original)

In a game, Tom throws a fair dice twice. 1 point is awarded for each '6' thrown, 2 points are awarded if the sum of the two numbers thrown is prime, and no points are awarded for other outcomes. Find the probabilities that

(a) Tom gets 1 point in the game.
(b) Tom gets 2 points in the game.
(c) Tom gets at least 2 points in the game.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) There are total 36 possible results for a fair dice to be thrown twice. For each '6' thrown 1 point is awarded so there are (1,6) (2,6) (3,6) (4,6) (5,6) (6,6) and (6,1) (6,2) (6,3) (6,4) (6,5), but (6,6) is not counted because it gives two points, and (1,6) and (5,6) are also left out because they give prime number on sum.

So the desired outcomes should be (2,6)(3,6)(4,6)(6,4)(6,3)(6,2), then 6/36 = 1/6 but the answer is wrong. I am not going to say the answer but I just don't understand.

Please also explain (b) and (c) if possible. Thank you.

My answer for (a) is different from yours, but that is because I was careful to count things correctly. Of course, for (b) and (c) I would just find and list all the relevant outcomes that have the desired point scores. That is what you should do as well.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
My answer for (a) is different from yours, but that is because I was careful to count things correctly. Of course, for (b) and (c) I would just find and list all the relevant outcomes that have the desired point scores. That is what you should do as well.

RGV

why not 1/6?

(2,6) (3,6) (4,6) (6,4) (6,3) (6,2) are all counted as 1 point because sum of their numbers doesn't give a prime number. (1,6) (5,6) (6,5) as well as (6,1) are not counted because they get 3 points.

I don't think there are any other outcomes that would give 1 point only in addition to my count. So why not 1/6? Please tell me.

kenny1999 said:
why not 1/6?

(2,6) (3,6) (4,6) (6,4) (6,3) (6,2) are all counted as 1 point because sum of their numbers doesn't give a prime number. (1,6) (5,6) (6,5) as well as (6,1) are not counted because they get 3 points.

I don't think there are any other outcomes that would give 1 point only in addition to my count. So why not 1/6? Please tell me.

Sorry, I mis-read the question. Your analysis of (a) is correct, so I suppose the answer in the book is wrong. That happens a lot, by the way.

RGV

1. What is a fair dice?

A fair dice is a six-sided cube with each side having an equal chance of landing face up when rolled. This means that the probability of landing on any one of the six numbers (1-6) is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%.

2. What is the probability of rolling a specific number on a fair dice?

The probability of rolling a specific number on a fair dice is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This is because each number on the dice has an equal chance of being rolled.

3. How do you calculate the probability of multiple dice rolls?

To calculate the probability of multiple dice rolls, you multiply the probability of each individual roll. For example, if you are rolling two dice and want to find the probability of rolling a 4 and a 6, you would multiply 1/6 (probability of rolling a 4) by 1/6 (probability of rolling a 6) to get a total probability of 1/36.

4. What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes a large number of trials. Experimental probability is based on actual experiments or trials and may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or random variation.

5. How can calculating probabilities be useful in real life?

Calculating probabilities can be useful in real life for making informed decisions and predictions. For example, in gambling, understanding the probabilities of certain outcomes can help in making strategic bets. In insurance, probabilities are used to determine premiums and risk. In business, probabilities can help in forecasting sales or predicting the likelihood of success for a new product or service.