Is the Berry connection a Levi-Civita connection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Levi-Civita connection and Berry connection, and whether or not the Berry connection is a Levi-Civita connection. It is determined that the Berry connection is not a Levi-Civita connection, as it is a connection for the U(1) fiber bundle over the appropriate projective Hilbert space. The conversation also touches on the physical implications of the Berry phase and its relationship to the U(1) bundle and geometric quantities. There is also a question about the relevance of the Berry phase to electro-magnetism and its relationship to non-zero commutators.
Joker93
Hello!
I have learned Riemannian Geometry, so the only connection I have ever worked with is the Levi-Civita connection(covariant derivative of metric tensor vanishes and the Chrystoffel symbols are symmetric).
When performing a parallel transport with the L-C connection, angles and lengths are preserved.
Now, I am trying to learn about the Berry phase which is full of differential geometry. What I want to learn is whether or not the Berry connection is a Levi-Civita connection.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the Berry connection is not a Levi-Civita connection. The Levi-Civita connection is a particular connection on the tangent bundle of a manifold given a metric. The Berry connection is a connection for the U(1) fiber bundle over the appropriate projective Hilbert space.

Orodruin said:
No, the Berry connection is not a Levi-Civita connection. The Levi-Civita connection is a particular connection on the tangent bundle of a manifold given a metric. The Berry connection is a connection for the U(1) fiber bundle over the appropriate projective Hilbert space.
Thanks for your answer.
Now that I think about it, I think that this can also be seen through physical arguments. Since under adiabatic change each energy eigenstate might pick up its own non-trivial Berry phase, this can lead to interference effects, which shows that the parallely transported states(which pick up the geometric phase) do not preserve the angles between them.
Is this view right?

What you are talking about here is the inner product of states in the Hilbert space itself, not its tangent vectors - which is what the metric, and therefore the Levi-Civita connection, is related to. The tangent bundle and the U(1) bundle are simply different objects, which means that connections on them will be different objects.

Orodruin said:
What you are talking about here is the inner product of states in the Hilbert space itself, not its tangent vectors - which is what the metric, and therefore the Levi-Civita connection, is related to. The tangent bundle and the U(1) bundle are simply different objects, which means that connections on them will be different objects.
So, if Berry phase has to do with the U(1) bundle, that is why the various geometric quantities have to do with the states of the Hilbert state, |n>, and the tangent vectors,|dn>, rather than just the tangent vectors(which is the what the L-C connection is about)?

Does U(1) here just refer generically to the circle bundle?

I am trying to understand if QM Berry Phase is only relevant to Electro-Magnetism. All the examples I’ve seen of it’s derivation are given w/respect to quantum spin. Does a similar real geometric phase shift emerge from the calculation of closed path integrals of position and momentum? I think this is a question similar to the OP.

Also the along same line I’m trying to understand the relationship, if any, between Berry Phase and non-zero commutators.

Last edited:

1. What is the Berry connection?

The Berry connection, also known as the Berry phase or geometric phase, is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the phase change of a quantum system when it undergoes adiabatic evolution. It was first discovered by Sir Michael Berry in 1984.

2. What is a Levi-Civita connection?

A Levi-Civita connection, also known as a Riemannian connection, is a mathematical concept in differential geometry that describes the way tangent spaces are connected in a curved space. It is named after mathematicians Tullio Levi-Civita and Gregorio Ricci-Curbastro.

3. Is the Berry connection a type of Levi-Civita connection?

Yes, the Berry connection is a special case of the Levi-Civita connection. It is a specific type of connection that arises in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the geometric phase of a quantum system.

4. What is the significance of the Berry connection being a Levi-Civita connection?

The fact that the Berry connection is a Levi-Civita connection means that it has certain mathematical properties that make it useful for describing the geometric phase. It also allows for connections to be made between quantum mechanics and differential geometry, providing a deeper understanding of both fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Berry connection being a Levi-Civita connection?

Yes, the Berry connection has been applied in various fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum computing, and quantum information theory. It has also been used in the study of topological insulators and superconductors, providing insights into their unique properties.