Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the body effected by magnets?

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    Ive been wondering if an electromagnet of great power has an effect on the human body, say the blood(containing iron). That is why ive been trying to bild one but all of my attempts have come out unsucesful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes it does. That is why we have MRI (or NMR).

Zz.

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    Once i saw some a show on the discovery channel where they created a strong magnetic field, and they managed to levitage a frog. So I guess humans have that property too.

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes, though strong doesn't quite describe it. I beleive it was hugely strong - like, lethal.

6. Sep 21, 2005 #5
    Check this:
    In their write-up of the experiment, Houpt and Smith noted something peculiar. When the rats that got the real magnetic bath were returned to their cages, they immediately began a rapid, nose-to-tail circling—and all in a counterclockwise direction. Some of the animals rotated 30 or more times before settling down. None of their control counterparts exhibited anything like that.

The gene expression analysis had clearly suggested that the inner ears of the exposed rats were being affected by the magnetic field. Perhaps this explained the curious circling behavior—like kids wobbling off a merry-go-round, the rodents were just plain dizzy. This squared, too, with anecdotal reports of nausea and vertigo from MRI technicians and others having to work near big magnets.

The circling itself was interesting, but why the consistent direction? Why did all the dizzy rats rotate counterclockwise?

For answers, Houpt and Smith studied the design of their experiment. To keep a lid on the variables, they had made sure all the rats were inserted into the magnets precisely the same way—with their heads pointed toward the ceiling. This meant the animals' heads were consistently aligned with the magnet's internal southern pole.

On a whim, the researchers decided to try the experiment again, but this time with the rats turned upside down. Magnet-wise, this time all animals were facing north. When the animals were returned to their cages, every one of them began turning.

Clockwise.

http://www.research.fsu.edu/researchr/issue2001/mice.html

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Interestingly, the manual for my car suggests that, after a power outage (such as disconnecting the battery for servicing), I have to recalibrate the electronic compass.

How do I recalibrate it?

I drive the car in a circle a minimum of three times. That gives the compass a chance to get its bearings again.

Rat. Car. Same length. 66.66% letter correlation. Coincidence?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?