Is the body effected by magnets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of a strong electromagnet on the human body, specifically on blood containing iron. It is noted that this is why MRI technology exists. One person mentions a show on the Discovery Channel where a frog was levitated by a strong magnetic field, suggesting that humans may have a similar property. This is confirmed by another person, who also mentions anecdotal reports of nausea and vertigo from working with MRI machines. The conversation then delves into a study on rats that were exposed to a magnetic field, which resulted in consistent counterclockwise circling behavior. The researchers discovered that this was due to the rats' heads being consistently aligned with the internal southern pole of the magnet. When the experiment was
Tido611
Ive been wondering if an electromagnet of great power has an effect on the human body, say the blood(containing iron). That is why I've been trying to bild one but all of my attempts have come out unsucesful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tido611 said:
Ive been wondering if an electromagnet of great power has an effect on the human body, say the blood(containing iron).

Yes it does. That is why we have MRI (or NMR).

Zz.

Once i saw some a show on the discovery channel where they created a strong magnetic field, and they managed to levitage a frog. So I guess humans have that property too.

ice87 said:
Once i saw some a show on the discovery channel where they created a strong magnetic field, and they managed to levitage a frog. So I guess humans have that property too.
Yes, though strong doesn't quite describe it. I believe it was hugely strong - like, lethal.

Check this:
In their write-up of the experiment, Houpt and Smith noted something peculiar. When the rats that got the real magnetic bath were returned to their cages, they immediately began a rapid, nose-to-tail circling—and all in a counterclockwise direction. Some of the animals rotated 30 or more times before settling down. None of their control counterparts exhibited anything like that.

The gene expression analysis had clearly suggested that the inner ears of the exposed rats were being affected by the magnetic field. Perhaps this explained the curious circling behavior—like kids wobbling off a merry-go-round, the rodents were just plain dizzy. This squared, too, with anecdotal reports of nausea and vertigo from MRI technicians and others having to work near big magnets.

The circling itself was interesting, but why the consistent direction? Why did all the dizzy rats rotate counterclockwise?

For answers, Houpt and Smith studied the design of their experiment. To keep a lid on the variables, they had made sure all the rats were inserted into the magnets precisely the same way—with their heads pointed toward the ceiling. This meant the animals' heads were consistently aligned with the magnet's internal southern pole.

On a whim, the researchers decided to try the experiment again, but this time with the rats turned upside down. Magnet-wise, this time all animals were facing north. When the animals were returned to their cages, every one of them began turning.

Clockwise.

http://www.research.fsu.edu/researchr/issue2001/mice.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, the manual for my car suggests that, after a power outage (such as disconnecting the battery for servicing), I have to recalibrate the electronic compass.

How do I recalibrate it?

I drive the car in a circle a minimum of three times. That gives the compass a chance to get its bearings again.

Rat. Car. Same length. 66.66% letter correlation. Coincidence?

1. How do magnets affect the human body?

Magnets do not have a direct effect on the human body. However, they can interact with metal objects in or on the body, such as pacemakers or metal implants, which can cause potential harm.

2. Can magnets improve health and wellness?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that magnets can improve health or wellness. Many studies have been conducted, but results have been inconclusive or contradicting.

3. Do magnetic bracelets and jewelry have any health benefits?

Similar to other claims about magnets and health, there is no scientific evidence to support the use of magnetic bracelets or jewelry for health benefits. Any perceived improvement in health is likely due to the placebo effect.

4. Are there any risks associated with using magnets on the body?

The risks associated with using magnets on the body are minimal, unless the individual has a pacemaker or other metal object in or on their body. In these cases, the magnets can interfere with the function of these devices.

5. Can magnets help with pain relief?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that magnets can provide pain relief. Any perceived pain relief is likely due to the placebo effect. It is important to seek medical advice and treatment for chronic or severe pain.