Is the Calculation of lim_{x->1} (x/ln x) Using L'Hopital's Rule Correct?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
In summary: I couldn't come up with a good introduction. If you want an introduction, I suggest looking online for one.In summary, the limit is 1.
UrbanXrisis
[tex]lim _{x->1} \frac{x}{ln x}[/tex]

L'Hopital's rule:
[tex]lim _{x->1} \frac{1}{1/x}[/tex]

so the limit is 1

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the numerator goes to 1 in the first expression, you shouldn't need l'Hopital's rule, you can just say the limit is infinity.

It's actually incorrect to apply l'hopital here, it's not in an indeterminate form.

I wouldn't say the limit is infinity either- examine the left and right hand limts seperately.

ln(1) = zero, so the function is undefined, wouldn't that make L'Hopotal's rul valid here?

I graphed this and it gave the limit doesn't exist. I'm not sure how I would show this by my calculations

The left limit is -infinity,while the right one is +infinity.

Daniel.

P.S.It's not an indeterminate form,because the numerator goes to 1,while the denominator goes to 0.

how do you prove that the left limit is -infinity,while the right one is +infinity without a calc?

[tex] \lim_{x\nearrow 1}\frac{1}{\ln x} =\frac{1}{0^{-}}=-\infty [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\searrow 1}\frac{1}{\ln x} =\frac{1}{0^{+}}=+\infty [/tex]

Daniel.

It's not too hard when the values are strictly negative on the left and strictly positive on the right.

UrbanXrisis,

Try drawing a graph of ln(x).

dextercioby said:
[tex] \lim_{x\nearrow 1}\frac{1}{\ln x} =\frac{1}{0^{-}}=-\infty [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\searrow 1}\frac{1}{\ln x} =\frac{1}{0^{+}}=+\infty [/tex]

Daniel.

how did you get negative zero and positive zero?

From the values of [itex] \ln x [/itex]...?One is approaching zero from below and the other from above,hence the notation.

Daniel.

but how do you know that without a calculator? I mean, if you subbed in 1, you would just get ln(1)=0 not +0 or -0

Do you recall the definition of a one-sided limit?

no, I forgot, please remind me

You could always check your text -- learning how to get information from your textbook is an important skill. :tongue:

Seriously, though: you should be able to reread the good introduction in your book quicker than it would take any of us to write a good introduction... it would probably be better too. If you still have problems with it, you can come back and ask for clarification!

we don't have textbooks... all we have are the notes we take in class, no joke. The only way we were taught was to fraph the function. However, what if we did not have a calculator?

UrbanXrisis,

"The only way we were taught was to graph the function. However, what if we did not have a calculator?"

Yikes!

I don't know what you're planning to do in your life, but if it has anything to do with science or math, having to rely on a calculator to draw a graph of ln(x) will be as crippling as having to rely on it to calculate 2+2. You can't build knowledge when your entire foundation resides in a calculator.

that is very correct, I did not mean it that literally, it was just to get someone to post the non-graphing way of calculating the limit from the left and from the right. It's not in my notes

1. What does "Yes, that is correct." mean?

"Yes, that is correct." is a statement indicating that something is true or accurate.

2. How is "Yes, that is correct." different from "Yes" or "Correct"?

"Yes" is a simple affirmation, while "Correct" is a statement indicating something is accurate. "Yes, that is correct." combines both to emphasize the accuracy of the statement.

3. Why do people use the phrase "Yes, that is correct."?

People use this phrase to confirm the accuracy of a statement or to avoid any misunderstandings. It is a polite and clear way to acknowledge that something is true.

4. Can "Yes, that is correct." be used in any context?

Yes, this phrase can be used in various contexts, such as in a professional setting to confirm information, in a conversation to clarify a fact, or in a debate to acknowledge a correct point.

5. Is "Yes, that is correct." a formal or informal phrase?

This phrase can be used in both formal and informal situations. It is a polite and respectful way to acknowledge the accuracy of a statement, making it suitable for various contexts.