Is the choice of engineering stable enough?

In summary, the person is considering a career in engineering and has some questions about the necessary aptitudes, the dominant personality in the field, and the stability of the career. They are advised to enjoy calculus and physics if they want to pursue engineering and are assured that it is a stable career choice with a demand for good engineers.
uberXjimmy
Hey I was wondering...
I have been thinking about the various career options before me and I have thought a lot about engineering. I know that the work I would be doing sounds cool at least how it's been described.
Yet I want to know somethings before I go further...

1. What aptitudes do you need to be an engineer that can not be learned ?
2. Is there a domiant personailty in engineering or are most people a mix ?
3.Is the choice of engineering stable enough? of course counting outsourcing of which I think the impact is unknown.

Thanks!
:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
uberXjimmy said:
Hey I was wondering...
I have been thinking about the various career options before me and I have thought a lot about engineering. I know that the work I would be doing sounds cool at least how it's been described.
Yet I want to know somethings before I go further...

1. What aptitudes do you need to be an engineer that can not be learned ? NONE
2. Is there a domiant personailty in engineering or are most people a mix ?
I would say a mixture, but once graduated and working you will recognize an engineer from a mile away.
3.Is the choice of engineering stable enough? of course counting outsourcing of which I think the impact is unknown.
I don't understand this question.
Thanks!
:smile:

---------------------------

If you want to do engineering, you better enjoy Calculus and Physics, if thos two are something you genuinely like and have a nack for, its for you.

Regards,

Nenad

uberXjimmy said:

Good people are always needed, would consider engineering one of the stable choices out there. Always a place typically somewhere nearby for a good engineer, wouldn't worry about this.

1. Is engineering a stable career choice?

It depends on the specific field and industry within engineering. Some areas, such as civil engineering, tend to have more consistent job opportunities and stability. However, other areas, like aerospace engineering, may experience more fluctuations in the job market.

2. What factors contribute to the stability of engineering as a career?

The overall health and growth of the economy, technological advancements, and government funding for infrastructure and research all play a role in the stability of engineering as a career. Additionally, the demand for engineers in certain industries, such as renewable energy and healthcare, can also impact stability.

3. Are there any potential downsides to choosing engineering as a career?

Like any career, there are potential downsides to choosing engineering. Some of these include long hours, high stress levels, and continuous learning and training to stay updated with new technologies and techniques. Additionally, some engineering fields may require frequent relocation for job opportunities.

4. How do job prospects for engineers compare to other professions?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for engineers is projected to grow at a rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about average compared to other professions. However, certain engineering fields, such as biomedical engineering, are expected to see much faster growth.

5. Are there any specific steps I can take to ensure stability in my engineering career?

To increase stability in your engineering career, it is important to continuously develop and expand your skills and knowledge. This can include pursuing advanced degrees, obtaining certifications, and staying updated with industry trends. Networking and building strong relationships with other engineers and professionals in your field can also help you stay informed about job opportunities and advancements in your industry.