Volumes in different dimensions

In summary: But these are not standard objects with which you are likely to be dealing at this stage of your education.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of area and how it relates to objects of different dimensions. It is noted that while a line has length and a rectangle has area, a point has no dimensions and therefore has no area. The conversation also mentions more complex objects, such as space filling curves, which have infinite length or surface area but still have a finite bounded shape.
r0bHadz
Homework Statement
Does a line from f(x) to the x-axis have any area?
Relevant Equations
not sure how to describe the area of a line
I would assume that it has some area even if it is really really small. But I guess a line implies that the left and right boundaries are going to the middle an infinite amount, so it has area =0? does anyone get what I mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, but there is a way to represent that fact using ##dx## or ##\delta x## and ##f(x)##. They might want that for an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
FactChecker said:
You are correct, but there is a way to represent that fact using ##dx## or ##\partial x## and ##f(x)##. They might want that for an answer.
oh wasn't a homework question, was just wondering myself. I appreciate it though! Also, I use to be able to mark my thread as solved with the old layout. Where is the button on this new one??

r0bHadz said:
oh wasn't a homework question, was just wondering myself. I appreciate it though! Also, I use to be able to mark my thread as solved with the old layout. Where is the button on this new one??
Looks as though there is NO such button now.

r0bHadz said:
I would assume that it has some area even if it is really really small. But I guess a line implies that the left and right boundaries are going to the middle an infinite amount, so it has area =0? does anyone get what I mean?
No, the volume is zero. It has a length, but no area.

Likes r0bHadz
To generalize, an n-dimensional object ( I think we need to assume completeness of measure) has , for k integer, k>0, (n+k)- dimensional measure equal to 0. The completeness is used to make sure it is measurable.

fresh_42 said:
No, the volume is zero. It has a length, but no area.
And to elaborate, a point is a mathematical object of dimension zero -- no length, width, or height.
A line is one-dimensional, and has length only.
A rectangle (or triangle, circular disk, or other similar plane object) is two-dimensional, and has area as an attribute.
A cube (or sphere or other solid object) is three-dimensional, and has volume as an attribute.

Things get more complicated if you allow fractional dimensions, with so-called space filling curves such as the Koch Snowflake or the Sierpenski Sponge. The Koch Snowflake can be shown to be a bounded curve (i.e., entirely contained within some rectangle in the plane) that has an infinite length. The Sierpenski Sponge can be also shown to have an infinite surface area, while being enclosed in some box in three-dimensional space.

Likes r0bHadz and WWGD

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cube?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cube is V = s³, where s is the length of one side of the cube.

2. How is the volume of a sphere calculated?

The volume of a sphere is calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr³, where r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Can the volume of a 3-dimensional object be negative?

No, the volume of a 3-dimensional object cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value.

4. How do you find the volume of a rectangular prism?

The volume of a rectangular prism is calculated using the formula V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the prism.

5. What is the difference between volume and surface area?

Volume is a measure of the space inside an object, while surface area is a measure of the total area of the object's surface. Volume is measured in cubic units, while surface area is measured in square units.