Simulating Missile Launch: Confirming Accuracy of Calculations

• Thread starter gimpy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a simulator for a missile launch using a simple Java program. The launch pad is located at 0m and the target is 250m away and 170m high. The formula used to determine the impact point on the target is x = t*V*cos(alpha) and y = t*V*sin(alpha) - (g*t^2)/2. The conversation also mentions using the quadratic equation to solve for the impact time and adjusting the formula to account for changing mass in the rocket equation.
gimpy
Ok i just want to comfirm that i did this correctly. I am making a simulator for a missile launch (simple java program). Anyways the Launch pad is located at 0m and the target is located 250m away and it is 170m high and flat and infinitly long. Now i want the missile to just display where it hits on the target (170m high, if it can fit on the screen or course). So this is what i did.

I used for the x and y positions

x = t*V*cos(alpha)
y = t*V*sin(alpha) - (g*t^2)/2

t = ?
V = 200 m/s
g = 9.81 m/s^2
alpha = 45 degrees * PI/180 (conversion to radians)

Now i know what y is (170m) so to find x (impact point) i must solve the equation y = t*V*sin(alpha) - (g*t^2)/2 for t then substitute t into x = t*V*cos(alpha).

So,

(gt^2)/2 - t*V*sin(alpha) + y = 0

then i solve this using the quadratic equation

(-b +- sqrt(b^2 - 4*a*c))/2*a

where
a = g/2
b = -(V*sin(alpha))
c = y

to obtain the roots , which are the times in seconds where the missile is at h=170m (going up and coming down). So obviously the the greater root (t) is the impact point of t (where the projectile lands on the target when it comes down).

Oh and to solve the quadratic equation i divided a, b and c by a, just to make a = 1. ( i get a different answer if i don't )

Does this sound right? I am pretty sure it is, i just want to make sure.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What you appear to be modeling is the case where a body is moving only under the influence of gravity. Is this correct for a rocket? Does it not start at zero velocity, accelerate to a maximum velocity at some altitude then begin the free fall situation? You need to investigate the rocket equation which takes into consideration the changing mass as the fuel burns during the acceleration phase.

What you are modeling is simply a rock thrown up at an angle with some velocity, this is not a rocket.

1. What is the purpose of simulating missile launch?

Simulating missile launch allows us to test and confirm the accuracy of our calculations before an actual launch. This helps to reduce risks and ensure the success of the launch.

2. How is the accuracy of the calculations confirmed?

The accuracy of the calculations is confirmed by comparing the simulated results with the expected outcomes based on the known parameters of the missile and its trajectory. Any discrepancies are then identified and addressed.

3. What factors are taken into consideration when simulating missile launch?

When simulating missile launch, factors such as the missile's weight, propulsion system, aerodynamics, and environmental conditions are taken into consideration. These factors play a crucial role in determining the accuracy of the calculations.

4. How does simulating missile launch save time and resources?

Simulating missile launch saves time and resources by allowing us to identify and address any potential issues or errors in the calculations before an actual launch. This helps to avoid costly mistakes and delays in the launch process.

5. Are there any limitations to simulating missile launch?

While simulating missile launch provides valuable insights and helps to improve accuracy, it is important to note that there may be limitations in the simulation process. Factors such as real-world variables and human error may not be fully accounted for in the simulation, and therefore, actual results may differ from the simulated ones.