Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Is the cost of energy raising?

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    Is the cost of energy resources for society raising? How high does it have to go to support a switch over to sustainable sources?

There are of course several energy sources we could talk in terms of $ per GJ to normalize them. Gasoline is now at about $29 per GJ. I am making a educated guess that at $100 per GJ sustainables will be cheaper. I would like to hear the communities thoughts.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2011 #2

mheslep

Gold Member

When researching this I believe it will be more useful to price the cost of that for which energy is needed. That is, people don't want gigajoules per se, they want to travel a mile, take a hot shower, heat their dwelling.

4. Jul 15, 2011 #3

SixNein

Gold Member

Yes the cost of energy is rising, but I think its better understood from a perspective of a ratio. How much oil does one have to put into a well to get a volume of oil out. At one time, the ratio was pretty high. I don't remember the number, but it was something like 1 barrel of oil in for like 75 out. Today its more like 1 barrel of oil in for 7 barrels out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook