Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the derivative equal to one over the derivative of the inverse?

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    Is it true that (dy/dx) = 1/(dx/dy) ? Is it still true if these are partial derivatives of a function of multiple variables? (All this, assuming that the inverse function exists)

Can anybody prove it in terms of the definition of a derivative? or any sort elementary proof at all? (I can almost convince my self it is true with Linear Algebra).

I haven't seen it proven in any books, but it is true for all of the functions I know of. Can I get a definitive answer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, dy/dx= 1/(dx/dy), when both are defined.

It doesn't make sense to ask about it for partial derivatives in the manner you do.

Suppose that y=f(x) implicitly defines y as a function of x. differentiate both sides wrt y

1 = df(x)/dy

apply the chain rule

1= (dx/dy) (df/dx)

1= (dx/dy)(dy/dx)

For partials you'd need to be more specific, are x and y both variables of this functions, or is, y=f(x,z,w...) the thing you're after? You can apply what I did above in the partial case for the second type.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?