Is the distance between a trough and crest one wavelength?

• Thread starter TheShapeOfTime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the distance between a trough and crest can be one wavelength in a pure sine wave, but in general, waves are not sine waves and there can be many local crests and troughs within one wavelength. This can be seen in a complex wave, where there may be multiple crests and troughs. It is important to understand the concept of sine and complex waves when discussing troughs and crests.
TheShapeOfTime

Physics news on Phys.org
No, 1 wavelength is trough to trough or peak to peak.

Last edited:
TheShapeOfTime said:
It seems that you're thinking about a pure sine wave, in which case the wavelength is the distance between crests (or troughs). But waves are not sine waves in general. If its a complex wave (as many waves in the real world are) then there may be many local crests (or troughs) within one wavelength.

Pete

Last edited:
TheShapeOfTime said:

That would be a HALF wavelength!

Yeah I was thinking the samething when I first read it. Its the distance beteen two consecutive crest or troughs.

Tide said:

I was thinking this too, but I wasn't sure if a point at the top of a crest was considered in phase with one at the bottom of a trough.

pmb_phy said:
It seems that you're thinking about a pure sine wave, in which case that is correct. But waves are not sine waves in general. If its a complex wave (as many waves in the real world are) then there may be many local crests and troughs within one wavelength.

I've only just been introduced to waves so I have no idea what sine or complex waves are. :redface:

Tide said:
Oy vey! Yes. True. How did I miss that?
TheShapeOfTime said:
I've only just been introduced to waves so I have no idea what sine or complex waves are.
Take a look at this web site. It'll give you an idea.

http://www.udel.edu/idsardi/sinewave/sinewave.html

Uncheck "red" and "sum" and the result is a sine wave. Now check "red" and it will plot another sine wave on the same axis. Now check "sum" and you'll see the function which is the sum of the two which is a wave, but not a sine wave. Uncheck "blue" and "sum" and you'll see only the sum (the "complex"/"non-simple" wave). See the problem of speaking about troughs and crests?

Note: By "complex" I don't mean anything to do with complex numbers. I mean "not a simple sine wave."

Pete

1. What is the distance between a trough and crest?

The distance between a trough and crest is known as the wavelength. It is the length of one complete wave cycle, measured from one trough to the next or one crest to the next.

2. How is the wavelength of a wave calculated?

The wavelength of a wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. This is known as the wave equation: wavelength = speed/frequency.

3. Does the wavelength change if the wave travels through different mediums?

Yes, the wavelength of a wave changes when it travels through different mediums. This is because the speed of the wave changes depending on the medium it is traveling through.

4. Is the distance between a trough and crest always one wavelength?

Yes, the distance between a trough and crest is always one wavelength. This is true for all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves.

5. Can the wavelength of a wave be measured directly?

No, the wavelength of a wave cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the wave equation or by measuring the distance between two consecutive troughs or crests.