Is the distance between any object infinite?

• Thread starter ujellytek
  • Start date
gmax137
Science Advisor
...Numbers are, in this context, discrete- I.e you jump from one to the next. It's the best model we have, but it's not perfect. Reality as far as we know is continuous.

What are you talking about? The real numbers are continuous. They are a perfect model for motion.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What are you talking about? The real numbers are continuous. They are a perfect model for motion.

read the whole thread and you will understand what that meant and why the OP is getting confused

So how does it move?

You're mixing two hypothesis concept of space, continuous and non-continuous.

Lets consider the first, space is continuous. If we have the two information i.e distance and time, between any two points. We can divide that distance into any number or infinitely.

Here there is no concept of finite points between A and B. That is, if it take 1s to cover 1m, it must have taken half second to travel half the distance and so any point between A and B.

In the second case, where space is non-continuous. Your question of teleporting from one point to another stand when there are finite points between A and B, i.e considering plank length.

First off what is the minimum distance matter can move within the midst of space? I'm thinking there is no minimum.
In physics, they would say distances smaller than the Planck length (10^−35 meters) are not defined.
"In some forms of quantum gravity, the Planck length is the length scale at which the structure of spacetime becomes dominated by quantum effects, and it is impossible to determine the difference between two locations less than one Planck length apart."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length#Theoretical_significance

distance is still finite. and the number of steps will also be finite as long as the interval is not zero, howsoever small it is. and practically you cannot make it zero because then you do not move at all.

QST
Has anyone ever tried to devise an experiment to determine if space-time is either continuous or digital? I see no reason why it should be impossible for space-time to be quantized.

We're a way away from being able to test anything that small experimentally (maybe never, who knows), but the theory is developing. Maybe we'll be able to test it indirectly someday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This thread is going off the rails. Thread locked.

Likes gmax137 and davenn