The Weight of Earth's Atmosphere: Is It Being Lost?

In summary, the Earth is not decreasing in mass, as we humans are converting much off this mass into energy. The only mass lost--and this mass is utterly negligible--is due to the energy produced, which carries away m=E/c^2 of mass. The atmosphere loses about 3kg of Hydrogen and 0.05kg of Helium per second, from just thermal motion. It also gains about 1500kg/s of meteors/comet fragments etc. The only mass lost--and this mass is utterly negligible--is due to the energy produced, which carries away m=E/c^2 of mass. Estimates are that the even Earth would lose it's atmosphere in 3Bn years if it wasn
doc.madani
i was curious wether the Earth is decreasing in mass, as we humans are converting much off this mass into energy i.e. burning of fossil fuels etc..., in which we are using up natural resources quicker than they can be replenished.

Physics news on Phys.org
In any chemical reaction, including combustion of fossil fuels, the mass of the products is almost exactly equal to the mass of the reactants. The only mass lost--and this mass is utterly negligible--is due to the energy produced, which carries away m=E/c^2 of mass.

The Earth receives more energy out of space in one day, than we use in one year (moderate exageration). Our use does not send the energy out into space either so you cannot say it is lost.

Plus look on the internet of the average mass of dust and meteorites that land on our planet, and you will find that the mere kilograms of energy we use (and don't loose) are really insignificant to the tonnes ( many zeroes) that we gain. The Earth is getting heavier, fat, chuncky.

Even so the mass (total mass of system) does not shrink unless that energy leaves the system, which in our case is the earth. The concept that mass transforms into energy and stops attracting other things through gravity is so common, that I wonder where so much misunderstanding comes from.

Last edited:
Um.. I guess I didn't delete that post fast enough. Oh my.

I'm not so sure that what you say isn't what ideasrule has said.

Phrak said:
Um.. I guess I didn't delete that post fast enough. Oh my.

I edited mine ... And expecting a beer :P

Lok said:
I edited mine ... And expecting a beer :P

I think, somehow, you only added a new one. I'll buy you a rootbeer.

Phrak said:
I think, somehow, you only added a new one. I'll buy you a rootbeer.

The info is still valid, we'll just never know what was said :P.

Cheers!

The atmosphere loses about 3kg of Hydrogen and 0.05kg of Helium per second - from just thermal motion.
It gains about 1500kg/s of meteors/comet fragments etc (100,000 tons/day)

Solar wind stripping isn't significant because of our magnetosphere - it probably deposits more protons (into H) than it removes.

TESLACOILZAP said:
gravity of the body must play a big role...moons a vacuum almost and Mars is 1/100th of an atmosphere
The moon probably lost any atmosphere just from lack of gravity, it doesn't take much for a molecule to achieve escape velocity on the moon.
Estimates are that the even Earth would lose it's atmosphere in 3Bn years if it wasn't replenished by volcanoes.

Mars probably lost it's atmosphere to solar wind stripping. It's just small enough that it doesn't have a molten core so no magnetic field so no protection.
Venus should have lost it's atmosphere to solar wind but probably produces so much from volcanics activity that it makes up for it.

1. Is the Earth actually losing weight?

Yes, the Earth is losing weight, but the amount is very small and not noticeable to humans. This is due to a process called mass loss, which is mainly caused by the Earth's natural cycles and human activities like burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and mining.

2. How much weight is the Earth losing?

The Earth is estimated to lose about 50,000 metric tons of mass per year. This may seem like a lot, but it is only about 0.00000000000000003% of the Earth's total mass. It is a tiny fraction, and it would take thousands of years for the Earth to lose a significant amount of weight.

3. Will the Earth continue to lose weight over time?

Yes, the Earth will continue to lose weight over time, but at a very slow rate. The Earth's natural cycles, such as the water cycle and carbon cycle, will continue to play a significant role in the mass loss. However, human activities like deforestation and burning fossil fuels are accelerating the process.

4. Is the Earth's weight loss affecting its orbit or rotation?

No, the Earth's weight loss does not significantly affect its orbit or rotation. The Earth's orbit and rotation are mainly determined by its mass and distance from the sun. The small amount of weight loss does not have a noticeable impact on these factors.

5. What are the potential consequences of the Earth losing weight?

The Earth's weight loss can have several consequences, including rising sea levels due to melting ice caps, changes in weather patterns, and loss of biodiversity. These consequences can have significant impacts on human life and the environment, and it is essential to take measures to reduce the Earth's weight loss.