Determining the Location of Zero Electric Field in a Three-Charge Configuration

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the region where the electric field will be zero in a configuration of three charges (-3.0 micro-Coulombs, 4.0 micro-Coulombs, and -97 micro-Coulombs) along the x-axis. The key to finding this region is to study each region separately and write an expression for the total electric field, with the distance 'r' from the origin as a variable. Ultimately, it is determined that the electric field will be zero between charge 1 and charge 2.
overkill
I have a question on how do you determine in which region will the electric field be zero. :confused:

A charge of -3.0 micro-Coulombs is located at the origin; a charge of 4.0 micro-Coulombs is located at x = 0.2m, y = 0; A third charge -97 micro-Coulombs is located at x = 0.32m, y = 0. The force on the 4.0 micro-Coulombs charge is 240N. With these configuration of three charges, where, along the x direction, is the electric field zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there overkill and welcome to PF,

HINT: The sum of the electric potentials from each respective charge will be zero at this point. Set 'r' as the distance from the origin.

Last edited:
Hi and thank you.

um...my question is how do you know in which region will the electric field be zero? to the left of all 3 charges, or between charge 1 and charge 2, or between charge 2 and charge 3, or to the right of all charges? For this problem, it is in between charge 1 and charge 2 where the electric field will be zero, but i don't understand why. Can someone explain why? Thank you.

Why don't you study each region in turn, writing an expression for the total field. Only in one region will it be possible for the expression to go to zero.

Hootenanny said:
HINT: The sum of the electric potentials from each respective charge will be zero at this point. Set 'r' as the distance from the origin
I think Hoot misread the question :wink:

arunbg said:
I think Hoot misread the question :wink:
Indeed I did:zzz:

1. Is the electric field always zero?

No, the electric field is not always zero. It can have different values depending on the location and the presence of electric charges in the vicinity.

2. How can I determine if the electric field is zero?

The electric field can be determined by using the equation E=F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force acting on the charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge. If the force and charge are both zero, then the electric field will be zero.

3. Can the electric field be zero at only one point?

Yes, the electric field can be zero at only one point. This is known as a point charge, where the electric field lines converge to a single point and cancel each other out.

4. What is the significance of a zero electric field?

A zero electric field signifies that there is no force acting on a charge at that point. This can be useful in determining the equilibrium of a system and the behavior of charges in that location.

5. Can the electric field ever be negative zero?

No, the concept of negative zero does not exist in physics. The electric field can either be positive or zero, but it cannot have a negative zero value.