Electric Field Zero: Point Charges on a Horizontal Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the point along the x-axis where the electric field is zero when two point charges are placed at specific positions. The solution involves using the method of a "test charge" and setting up equations with variables R1 and R2, where R1 + R2 = R (the total distance between the two charges). By setting the equations for the electric field at each charge equal to each other and solving for R1, the point where the electric field is zero can be determined. This method is used because it allows for the calculation of the electric field at a point where there is no actual charge present.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

Two point charges are placed along a horizontal axis with the following values and positions: +3.0 �C at x = 0 cm and -7.0 �C at x = 20 cm. At what point along the x-axis is the electric field zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just set Ea = Eb
Ea = K*A/R^2
Eb = K*B/R^2

Physics news on Phys.org
thats the basic idea.
but keep in mind that the distances will be different (the R's) and that's what you need to solve for.
Make 2 variables R1 and R2 (for each distance), how are they related?

Oh I thought the distance was just the distance between A and B...but its the distance from point A to the point where the electric field and same for B?

correct. this is a little strange, we're using the method of a "test charge" which essentially means a pretend charge (you can call the charge "q" but it should always end up canceling in cases like this). a test charge is a way to "test" the field at a certain point where there isn't actually a charge. if you use the distance R (from A to B), that will give you the field at A and at B, note that the forces will be the same at those points (in accordance with Newton's second law), but you are looking for a point inbetween the A and B where the pulls (or pushes) are equal and cancel each other out.

So I just use R?

no.
you have to use R1 and R2, where R1 + R2 = R (the total distance)

I don't get it lol...I'm sorry...

Ea = Eb
Ea = K*A/R1^2
Eb = K*B/R2^2
where R2 = R - R1 (in this case R = 20cm the total distance between A and B).
|---------------|-----------------------------|
A_____________C_________________________B
|------R1------||--------------R2------------|
|-------------------R-------------------------|
You're are trying to find the point C, such that the field (or force) is zero.
How about that?

Oh wow thanks :)...I see now...So I end up with...
Ea = K*A/R1^2
Eb = K*B/(R-R1)^2

A/R1^2 = B/(R-R1)^2
And I solve for R1??

exactly!
More importantly, does it makes sense why we set it up like that?

Yup I completely understand why you set it up like that...thanks!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that electric charges have on each other. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of electric charges.

2. Is the electric field always zero?

No, the electric field is not always zero. It depends on the distribution of electric charges in a given space. If there are no charges present, then the electric field will be zero. However, if there are charges present, the electric field will exist and can vary in magnitude and direction.

3. How can I determine if the electric field is zero?

To determine if the electric field is zero, you can use the principle of superposition. This means that if there are multiple electric charges present, you can calculate the electric field at a particular point by adding up the individual contributions from each charge. If the sum of these contributions is zero, then the electric field at that point is zero.

4. What does it mean if the electric field is zero?

If the electric field is zero, it means that there is no force acting on a charged particle at that particular point. This could be because there are no charges present, or the charges present are arranged in such a way that their individual contributions cancel each other out.

5. Can the electric field be zero at all points in a space?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field to be zero at all points in a space. This would happen if the charges present are arranged in such a way that their individual contributions cancel each other out at every point in the space. This is known as a neutral field.