Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the internet getting slow?

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    I've noticed the internet is getting slow over time. Anything takes forever to load and things time out.

Google:
    Oops! This link appears broken.
    DNS error - cannot find server.

Even my laptop is doing this!? I have Verizon FIOS internet, so this shouldn't happen. I don't know why the hell my internet is so slow. Is this something others experience too?

If I test my internet speed here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

it says:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 4598 kbps (574.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1850 kbps (231.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it's been bad recently. I should look into why. It could be that backbone providers are closing routes to cut costs, causing congestion.

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    I mean, things like GOOGLE are SOOOOO SLOW. I have to constantly reload web pages until they finally work!

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh noes! The Intertubes can haz bail-out, pls?
    I need my LOLcats served up fast!

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5
    Does anyone know what a normal speed should be? Which one of the speed testing sites should I use to test mine out?

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6
    Use the one closest to where you live.

8. Feb 10, 2009 #7
    It says that my download speed is 21852 kbps and my upload speed is 700 kbps. Is that good or bad?

9. Feb 10, 2009 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

Mine is (CSprings to Chicago):

Download Speed: 5221 kbps (652.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5594 kbps (699.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

(CSprings to Dallas)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 5513 kbps (689.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5319 kbps (664.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

(Csprings to DC)
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 3535 kbps (441.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5588 kbps (698.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

(CSprings-Atlanta)
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 4710 kbps (588.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5607 kbps (700.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

(CSprings-NY)
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 3314 kbps (414.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5568 kbps (696 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download speed is usually more important to the average person than upload speed since you read stuff on the internet a lot more often than you post stuff. If they still had Napster, people would love me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. Feb 10, 2009 #9
    If out of every 1 minute of usual internet surfing you spend like only 5 seconds waiting then it is good.

My current internet is like 5 times slower but don't play online games or watch high quality videos.

I use this software to monitor my internet usage.
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/
    It tells the speed and other internet usage statistics.

11. Feb 10, 2009 #10
    Are you sure that you don't have any adware, spyware or virus on the computer? If you noticed a sudden drop in speed then that's the most likely reason.

The second reason is that your ISP is has issues, and is robbing you of the bandwidth. But if google takes forever to load that would be unlikely.

12. Feb 10, 2009 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

My download is pretty constant at 5200, and upload varies with distance from test server between 1075 and 1855.

So why has PF been slow?

13. Feb 10, 2009 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just think slower, so the innerwebs will be able to keep up.

14. Feb 10, 2009 #13
    who is your ISP? i'm on charter and everything seems fine.

http://technologizer.com/2009/01/28/does-the-internet-feel-slow-googles-m-lab-wants-to-help/

15. Feb 10, 2009 #14
    I have Verizon FIOS. I also have a wireless network in my house, so that would be one more thing to slow things down, but it wasnt slow like this in the past, and my download speed isn't that slow. But I *constantly* have to hit refresh because pictures wont load and have a red x inside them. When I google image, I hit remove frame, and it takes FOR-EVER to reload the page w/o the google frame.

I think maybe its google? Facebook is also slow as hell.

16. Feb 10, 2009 #15
    I was thinking that it could be the possibility that someone has started using your network if your network is unsecure.

17. Feb 10, 2009 #16
    Well, I live in the suburbs. I think you wouldn't get my signal unless you parked a van outside the font of my house (And still, that would probably be a very low signal). Plus, the network has a password. If I do a site survey, I can only detect my own network, not any of my neighboors.

18. Feb 10, 2009 #17
    sometimes my wireless just needs a reboot. other times, there may be an object interfering with the signal. i get best reception when i have a line of sight to the antenna, and something like a glass of water in the way can really ruin my night.

19. Feb 10, 2009 #18
    That's a great idea. I'm going to go down to the basement and reboot the main router. It's on 24-7 and never gets turned off.

20. Feb 10, 2009 #19
    http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Feb 10, 2009 #20
    Hooray! Rebooting the main router really worked wonders!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook