Why is my internet so slow? Is it just me or are others experiencing this too?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the internet has been getting slower over time and things have taken longer to load. Google is having some issues and might need a bandwidth bailout.
Astronuc said:
There seems to be a lot of junk, including advertisments, on the internet.

I was looking at a page on Yahoo and one of the ADVERTISEMENTS didn't show, or rather wouldn't load.

In it's place was the typical message I get when a page doesn't load.

No - I am not going to adjust my browser settings, I'm not going to click Tools, I'm not going to refresh or try again later. I'm going to enjoy the fact that the advertisement is not there.

I don't want obnoxious advertisments for shtuff I don't want. :biggrin:

adblock plus in firefox addons is slicker 'n shinola

Physics news on Phys.org
this is my therory why the internet is getting slower. internet 2 is being used in the schools & the military soon it will become so slow & they will offer internet 2 fot a SMALL fee. the gov't will be involved & will start to control what we can view

Current DL speed 21,543 upload 733. We just upgraded to the high speed internet and I don't think it did to much, I think it sucks, and made the internet even more slower.

wait & see

mcknia07 said:
It says that my download speed is 21852 kbps and my upload speed is 700 kbps. Is that good or bad?
This site http://www.speedtest.net/ measures your speed and provides statistics on how you compare with others in your locale, country or worldwide. It also shows which ISP in your area provides the fastest service.

Yep, defantly a lot faster today, than it was the other night :biggrin: I think the last testing site was not accurate...The numbers I got this time around, were a lot lower, but it's faster...

I hadn't tried foreign servers before so it was interesting to see the differences.

Namibia turned out to be slower than Surabaya, and Irkutsk was faster than I would have expected and on a par with Valdivia Chile. I didn't try everywhere, just what looked like the most likely remotest.

My percentile for speed is 88% so overall I guess there's little to complain about for a home connection. (And no need to upgrade my service.)

$bill said:
this is my therory why the internet is getting slower. internet 2 is being used in the schools & the military soon it will become so slow & they will offer internet 2 fot a SMALL fee. the gov't will be involved & will start to control what we can view
Ridiculous. I happen to know what the internet is and is not, it's not a "thing", there is no single entity, and at this point it is too diverse to be.

FIOS is simply a connection from your premises to your provider, in this case Verizon. It has nothing to do with the internet, it's simply a means of local connection to your provider.

I have comcast internet which has been incredibly slow as well. At first I thought it was due to the cold whether because the internet in my house was only slow during the night when the temperature is at its lowest. I don't know if that sounds stupid or not, keep in mind I am not a computer whiz or anything. But then my dad called comcast and they checked are bandwidth or something that would show them what kind of dl speed we were receiving to our house. It turns out that the people who live 3 houses down from us were downloading HUGEEEEE amount of files from the internet which was slowing down everyone else on that line. Comcast said they were going to notify them of their internet usage and we got 6 months free:). Ever since then our internet has been running smoothly...

se7en said:
I have comcast internet which has been incredibly slow as well. At first I thought it was due to the cold whether because the internet in my house was only slow during the night when the temperature is at its lowest. I don't know if that sounds stupid or not, keep in mind I am not a computer whiz or anything. But then my dad called comcast and they checked are bandwidth or something that would show them what kind of dl speed we were receiving to our house. It turns out that the people who live 3 houses down from us were downloading HUGEEEEE amount of files from the internet which was slowing down everyone else on that line. Comcast said they were going to notify them of their internet usage and we got 6 months free:). Ever since then our internet has been running smoothly...
DSL is a shared service, similar to cable.

Where you run into problems with DSL is at the telephone company's central office where all the DSL users try to share a device called a DSLAM in trying to route to the company's edge router for the internet.

se7en said:
It turns out that the people who live 3 houses down from us were downloading HUGEEEEE amount of files from the internet which was slowing down everyone else on that line. Comcast said they were going to notify them of their internet usage and we got 6 months free:). Ever since then our internet has been running smoothly...

That was likely a crock spun out by Comcast to duck blame. They make so much off your connection that throwing you a 6 month bone to make you feel good is probably their standard line. If my cable company told me I was using my unlimited 24/7 access too much, I'd ask them if they wanted to explain to me again what unlimited meant.

LowlyPion said:
That was likely a crock spun out by Comcast to duck blame. They make so much off your connection that throwing you a 6 month bone to make you feel good is probably their standard line. If my cable company told me I was using my unlimited 24/7 access too much, I'd ask them if they wanted to explain to me again what unlimited meant.
Actually unlimited doesn't mean unlimited in a lot of scenarios. You may think it's unlimited, but if you read the fine print, there are restrictions. There are not that many truly unlimited scenarios. Abuse by bandwidth hogs has killed "unlimited" now, if you happen to be under a grandfathered clause, count yourself lucky. The many suffer from abuse from the few. Companies are for profit. Sux, but that's reality.