Is the Levi-Civita connection unique for a given manifold?

In summary, the Levi-Civita connection is a torsion-free connection on a tangent bundle preserving a given Riemannian metric. For a given Riemannian manifold, there is a unique Levi-Civita connection, but different metrics can have the same Levi-Civita connection. There is not currently another quantity that uniquely defines a manifold, but there are classification theorems that are being researched.
meldraft
Hi all,

To my understanding, the Levi-Civita connection is the torsion-free connection on the tangent bundle preserving a given Riemannian metric.

Furthermore, given any affine connection ∇, there is a unique torsion-free connection ∇′ with the same family of affinely parametrized geodesics. (from Wikipedia)

Does this imply that for a given Riemannian manifold there is a Levi-Civita connection that is unique for that manifold?

I am still learning this stuff so I am often having trouble seeing whether something is true or not :)

Edit: To elaborate, from the fundamental theorem of riemannian geometry, there is a unique torsion-free metric connection, called the Levi-Civita connection of the given metric.

Does this make this connection unique for that manifold? i.e. if I have a lot of manifolds can I identify them using the Levi-Civita connection?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is one Levi-Civita connection for each metric. But even different metrics can have the same Levi-Civita connection: for any positive constant c, the two metrics g and cg have the same Levi-Civita connection because it is easy to see that the Levi-Civita connection of g also is compatible with cg.

Of course, this makes sense, thank you!

On a side (or maybe main)-note, do you know if there is some other quantity that uniquely defines the manifold?

In my mind, if you start deforming a sphere, you can end up with infinite unique shapes, but the deviation from the original curvature can be calculated by the curvature tensor field.

Is there some way to define the manifold without having to calculate the curvature tensor all over the manifold? (I want to do it numerically)

I am sorry if I am asking something that makes no sense, but as I said, this is pretty new to me :)

Last edited:
I don't theink that there is such a quantity, but there are interesting and deep classification theorems. See for instance the Uniformization theorem on wiki. According to the book by John Lee, much current research in riemannian geometry is devoted to "extending" the uniformization theorem to higher dimensions.

This is very helpful, thank you!

1. What is the Levi-Civita connection?

The Levi-Civita connection is a mathematical concept in differential geometry that describes the way that tangent spaces at different points on a manifold are related to each other. It is used to define the notion of parallel transport and to develop the theory of curvature.

2. Why is the uniqueness of the Levi-Civita connection important?

The uniqueness of the Levi-Civita connection is important because it ensures that there is only one way to define parallel transport and curvature on a given manifold. This allows for consistent and unambiguous calculations and proofs in differential geometry.

3. How is the Levi-Civita connection determined for a given manifold?

The Levi-Civita connection is determined by the metric tensor of the manifold, which describes the geometry of the space. The connection is calculated using a specific formula that involves taking derivatives of the metric tensor.

4. Can the Levi-Civita connection exist on non-Riemannian manifolds?

No, the Levi-Civita connection is a concept that only applies to Riemannian manifolds, which are smooth, curved spaces with a metric tensor. On non-Riemannian manifolds, other types of connections must be used.

5. How does the Levi-Civita connection relate to other connections on a manifold?

The Levi-Civita connection is a special case of the more general concept of an affine connection. It is the unique connection that is compatible with the metric tensor and satisfies certain symmetry properties. Other connections can be defined on a manifold, but the Levi-Civita connection is often the most useful for studying curvature and other geometric properties.