Is the Local Fluff Causing Warming in Our Solar System?

• Thread starter brooklyn2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary: So, when you apply the laws of thermodynamics to the situation, the cloud "should" be cooling our sun down, and it's not. In summary, the clouds are not dense enough to have a real impact on the temperature of our sun, even though they are supposedly trapping particles that have the same charge.
brooklyn2008
I have recently read a few things about the local interstellar clouds and while I am by no means a science expert, math and science were my strong points. After reading about this a few things occurred to me, and they seem to be bad for our solar system.

The clouds are ~10,000° C, our solar system is -0. So shouldn't our solar system be absorbing heat and getting hotter? Also the clouds are charged, which means any particles in the solar system that have the same charge are trapped in until we exit the cloud? From what I have read we will be in these clouds for thousands of years. So even if our solar system warms a degree every couple hundred years, before we are out of it our planet will warm 10°+.

I have aslo read that all of the planets are warming, which leads me to believe that this may be the reason why.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
the local interstellar gas is also very thin which slows down heat transport by advection and conduction; advection because thin stuff has low density, and conduction because the density is so low it takes a while for a gas atom to bump into another.

that's why when we cook, boiling takes less time than steaming.

So am I wrong in thinking that this is going to cause our solar system to gradually warm? I understand that it is not extremely dense, but being that it is dense enough to maintain such a high temperature it seems that it is dense enough to have an impact on us.

brooklyn2008 said:
So am I wrong in thinking that this is going to cause our solar system to gradually warm? I understand that it is not extremely dense, but being that it is dense enough to maintain such a high temperature it seems that it is dense enough to have an impact on us.

This high-temperature low-density gas stuff seemed nuts to me when I first read about it. I mean if the gas molecules are REALLY spread out and don't bump into each other, how in the world can you say there is a high temperature? You'll need someone else to explain it, but turns out it's mostly a "problem" because of the definition of temperature and thinking of it as having anything like the effect that it would have if it had any density at all just gives anwers that don't correspond to reality.

When they say those gas clouds are thin, that is the understatement of the year. Apparently, as a first order approximation of the density of the gas clouds, there isn't anything there.

I can say that the information presented in this content is not entirely accurate. The local interstellar clouds, also known as the Local Fluff, do have a high temperature of around 10,000°C, but this temperature is not comparable to our solar system's temperature of -0°C. The Local Fluff is a diffuse cloud of gas and dust, while our solar system is a collection of planets, moons, and other bodies that have their own individual temperatures.

Furthermore, the idea that our solar system is absorbing heat from the Local Fluff is not supported by scientific evidence. The Local Fluff is not a source of heat, and its temperature does not affect the temperature of objects within our solar system. In fact, the Local Fluff is so diffuse that its effects on our solar system are minimal.

The statement about charged particles being trapped in the Local Fluff is also not entirely accurate. While the Local Fluff is charged, it does not have a strong enough magnetic field to trap particles from our solar system. These particles are constantly moving and are not affected by the Local Fluff in any significant way.

As for the idea that the Local Fluff is causing warming in our solar system, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. The warming of our planet and other planets in our solar system is due to a variety of factors, including changes in solar radiation, changes in the Earth's orbit, and human activities such as greenhouse gas emissions.

In conclusion, while the Local Fluff may have some interesting characteristics, it is not causing any significant warming in our solar system. As scientists, we must rely on evidence and data to draw conclusions, rather than speculation and misinformation.

1. What is the local fluff?

The local fluff, also known as the Local Interstellar Cloud, is a region of hot, low-density gas and dust that surrounds our solar system. It is approximately 30 light years across and is located within the Orion Arm of the Milky Way galaxy.

2. Is the local fluff dangerous to us?

No, the local fluff is not considered dangerous to us. It is a relatively low-density region and is not dense enough to pose a threat to our solar system or planet.

3. How does the local fluff affect Earth?

The local fluff has minimal impact on Earth. It is too far away to significantly affect our planet's climate or weather patterns. However, it does play a role in the overall structure and dynamics of our galaxy.

4. Could the local fluff have any long-term effects on our solar system?

It is possible that the local fluff could have some long-term effects on our solar system, such as altering the paths of some objects in the outer reaches of our solar system. However, these effects are likely to be minimal and would not pose a significant threat to Earth.

5. How do scientists study the local fluff?

Scientists study the local fluff using various telescopes and spacecraft, such as the Hubble Space Telescope and the Voyager spacecraft. They also use data from other sources, such as radio and infrared observations, to better understand the composition and properties of the local fluff.