Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the moon made of green cheese?

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A recent spate of now closed threads gave me an irriisistable impulse to ask this question...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A more curious question: what exactly IS green cheese? I mean, I've had cheese that turned green, for sure, but I've never gone to the market and specifically asked for "green cheese".
    Swiss cheese, I suppose, looks a little bit like the moon, since it's got holes which you could compare to craters, but no one ever says that the moon looks like Swiss cheese. So this "green cheese" must be it's own variety - but it's not something I am familiar with here in the U.S.
    Could you explain? :confused:

4. Jun 17, 2005 #3
    hmm.... the moon isn't green though... so why would it be made of green cheese? i've heard it made of swiss cheese actually... or maybe thats what i assumed when they said it was made out of cheese.

on a side note, i just discovered i type at about 70 wpm. i think thats pretty neat for someone who only uses computers for conversation mostly.

oh, and speaking of cheese, what defines a cheese? cause cottage cheese isn't much like other cheeses... well, its sorta goat cheesey... but goat cheese is weird too...

and speaking of the moon... don't you think we should implement population controls up there soon? think of all the private ventures now... lets nip the overpopulation in the bud this time eh?!

5. Jun 17, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cecil explains it all

I couldn't sleep until I got an answer..

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990723a.html

Question: "Dear Cecil: How did the myth about the moon being made out of cheese start?"

Answer: "That's the problem with being a smartass. You unload some priceless bon mot and 400 years later, out of context, you sound like an idiot. Here's an early green cheese citation from John Heywood's Proverbes (1546): "The moon is made of a greene cheese," greene meaning new, unaged. One can find similar quotes in the works of Francois Rabelais and Thomas More. I'm hearing sarcasm here, but in that era before ;-) one can't be sure. Other citations are clearer: "You may as soon persuade some Country Peasants, that the Moon is made of Green Cheese (as we say) as that 'tis bigger than his Cart-wheel" (Wilkins, New World 1, 1638), the implication being that Luna's non-cheesiosity was not a matter regarding which even the rustics were in doubt."

6. Jun 17, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On a really bizarre side note, this reminds me that the design scheme for Windows XP user interface was code-named Luna. Could we infer from this that it's somewhat cheesy and full of holes? :biggrin:

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6
    "...one small step for man..." You know they brought a case of tricuits on that mission?

8. Jun 17, 2005 #7
    i hate cheese because it smells bad and tastes rancid :(

9. Jun 17, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has nobody seen Wallace & Grommit, - A Grand Day Out?

10. Jun 17, 2005 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

That I have! Champion, that is!

Anyway, if the moon were to be made of cheese, it would surely be blue-ish white cheese?

11. Jun 17, 2005 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The moon surface is more or less grey. Perhaps it's moldy cheese.

An ounce of pre-emption, . . . .

12. Jun 17, 2005 #11

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Conclusion, it is made out of cheese isn't it !!!
    They had me fooled all this while >.<

13. Jun 17, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must be eating stinky French cheese. You won't have that problem at all with American cheeses. Our laws require them to all be pasteurized, so no stinky, rancid smells or tastes (though the French find our cheese terribly bland).

14. Jun 17, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

You can infer that from the name 'Windows'. 'Luna' is just rubbing it in.

15. Jun 17, 2005 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"This tastes like no cheese I've ever tasted, Grommet."

16. Jun 17, 2005 #15
    I think it was a wise move on the part of Wallace and Grommit to leave the mice standing behind wearing dark glasses :cool::cool::cool::cool:(less to share the cheese with) :wink:. (And, of course, to wear the correct trousers.)

17. Jun 18, 2005 #16
    I take it you're a Mac user, Math Is Hard? you sound like my friend who would sell his mother into prostitution before choosing a Windows PC over a Mac...

18. Jun 18, 2005 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Believe it or not, I'm strictly a Windows gal... but I feel filthy and disgusted about it every day. :redface: My last few jobs forced me to switch over and join the PC/Windows ranks exclusively, but I still miss my Mac and worship Jobs and Wozniak as gods.

19. Jun 19, 2005 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: hint, hint! brewnog :wink:

20. Jun 19, 2005 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fine, fine! I'll be your monkey, Astronuc!

21. Jun 19, 2005 #20
    So where exactly is your mother working MIH? :tongue2: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?