Is the Phenom II a completely different micro-architecture than the original Phenom?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
In summary, the Phenom II is a significant improvement over the original Phenom processor, with changes such as a die shrink, increased cache sizes, and more functional cores. The Phenom II X4 965 BE is faster than the Phenom X4 9950 BE at stock clock speeds, and even faster when compared to other processors like the Core 2 Quad Q9400. However, for gaming purposes, it is recommended to focus on the GPU rather than the CPU. Additionally, the original Phenom X4 processors had a history of faulty cores and caches, making the Phenom II a much better choice for performance.
The_Absolute
Is the Phenom II an entirely different micro-architecture than the original Phenom processor? Or did they just make some changes, such as a die shrink from 65nm to 45nm, increase the cache sizes and such?

How much faster is a Phenom II X4 965 BE than a Phenom X4 9950 BE both @ stock clock speeds?

I heard that the original Phenom X4 processors always had One faulty core, and only Three of the Four cores were functional. Some of the caches on the other few cores were also faulty and did not work according to some unconfirmed rumor.

When comparing a Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4 GHz to my C2Q Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz, how much faster will the Phenom II be? I'm building a new AMD gaming rig and wanted to get the best AMD hardware for my budget within $2,000. I also want to do thorough research on the hardware to ensure that it is a solid upgrade in terms of performance when compared to my Gateway FX6710-01 gaming desktop.

Computer science news on Phys.org

The best bang for the buck is still Intel core 2. Hardly any software exists that requires more CPU power, aside from high end 3D drafting and engineering programs [like finite analysis]. For gaming purposes, focus on GPU. Get an SLI or Xfire mobo with 2 pcie 2.0 slots, put in two GPU's with 1G memory each, and you will top the performance charts for at least 3 years. You can spend the cash you save on an obscenely large flatscreen.

Chronos said:
The best bang for the buck is still Intel core 2. Hardly any software exists that requires more CPU power, aside from high end 3D drafting and engineering programs [like finite analysis]. For gaming purposes, focus on GPU. Get an SLI or Xfire mobo with 2 pcie 2.0 slots, put in two GPU's with 1G memory each, and you will top the performance charts for at least 3 years. You can spend the cash you save on an obscenely large flatscreen.

If your CPU isn't fast enough, the abilities of a top-notch GPU setup in crossfireX or SLI will be severely limited by the CPU. The only CPU that exists capable of properly using Two Radeon HD 5970's or Two GeForce GTX 295 graphics cards in Xfire/SLI is a Core i7 @ around 4.5 GHz. A Phenom II X4 965 BE or Core 2 Extreme at the same clock speeds would bottleneck those graphics cards and more than halve their true potential performance.

No ATI or Nvidia drivers exist to support more than Four GPU cores. So there really isn't any point in having more than that, let alone a PSU that can power Four or Five GTX 295's or HD 5970's. At least not for gaming.

Bottlenecks are rare with a single GPU core. But when you have 2, 3, or 4 of them, that's when the bottlenecks become very apparent.

Off topic, but I heard that the original Phenom X4 processors always had One faulty core, and some of the caches on the other cores didn't work as well. So if you got a Phenom X4 9950 BE, you only got Three functional cores, with some of the caches on those cores non-operable, taking a major hit in performance.

The Phenom's were a huge flop. How much faster are the Phenom II X4 processors when compared to their predecessors?

1. What is the difference between the Phenom II and the original Phenom micro-architecture?

The Phenom II is a completely different micro-architecture from the original Phenom. It was built using a 45nm manufacturing process compared to the 65nm process used for the original Phenom. This allowed for a higher clock speed and improved power efficiency. The Phenom II also introduced a larger L3 cache and improved memory controller, resulting in better performance compared to the original Phenom.

2. How does the Phenom II compare to other micro-architectures?

The Phenom II is considered to be a mid-range micro-architecture, offering decent performance at a competitive price point. It falls behind high-end micro-architectures such as Intel's Core i7, but outperforms budget options like Intel's Pentium processors. Overall, the Phenom II is a solid choice for mid-range computing needs.

3. Can the Phenom II be overclocked?

Yes, the Phenom II can be overclocked, but the extent of the overclocking will depend on the specific model and your system's cooling capabilities. Some Phenom II models have been known to reach clock speeds of 4GHz or higher with proper cooling.

4. Is the Phenom II still a viable option for modern computing?

While the Phenom II is an older micro-architecture, it can still handle many modern computing tasks. However, it may struggle with more demanding applications and games compared to newer micro-architectures. If you are on a budget, the Phenom II can still be a decent choice, but if you require high-performance, it may be worth investing in a newer micro-architecture.

5. What are the main drawbacks of the Phenom II micro-architecture?

One major drawback of the Phenom II is its lack of support for newer technologies such as DDR4 memory and PCIe 3.0. It also falls behind in terms of power efficiency and single-threaded performance compared to newer micro-architectures. Additionally, the lack of support and updates for the Phenom II means it may not be compatible with the latest software and operating systems.