1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the sequence {n/(n^2+1)} convergent, and if so, what is it's limit? I think Yes

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the sequence {n/(n^2+1)} convergent, and if so, what is it's limit?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe it does converge because the higher power is in the denominator, so thus, it's limit is 0.

Any help or hints on if I'm headed in the right direction would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    Re: Is the sequence {n/(n^2+1)} convergent, and if so, what is it's limit? I think Ye

You are right, using the rules you've learned about infinity limits will get us ((1/n)/(1+(1/n^2))) and the limit of that as n approaches infinity is 0.

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Is the sequence {n/(n^2+1)} convergent, and if so, what is it's limit? I think Ye

Multiply the numerator & denominator by 1/n .

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4

If you're talking about the SEQUENCE, then it converges. Use a useful little rule known as L'Hôpital.

If you're talking about the SERIES, use the Ratio or Integral tests. It diverges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook