Is the uncertainty consistent?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the best fit for a set of x and y values with a given uncertainty, determining the probability of ruling out a 5% higher slope, and checking if the stated uncertainty is consistent with the data. The person mentions using chi-squared and derivatives to find the best fit and computing errors in the fitting coefficients. They also suggest using formulas to calculate the uncertainty in the slope and intercept.
ma18

Homework Statement

I am given a set of x and y values x: (1,2,3,etc.) y: (1.2,2.2,3.1,etc.) with a given uncertainty and am asked

a) find the best fit

b) at what prob can you rule out a 5% higher slope

c) is the stated uncertainty consistent with the data?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the best fit relatively easily by minimizing chi-sqd and setting the derivatives to 0. I am confident in my result as it matches with the graph given by excel.

For part 2 I tried putting a higher value for the given slope into the chi-sqd equation and checking a chart but that didn't give me a reasonable answer (not completely sure about the degree of freedom)

I am not sure how to approach the third part. I have computed the errors in the fitting coefficients but that doesn't seem to play into it.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

What is uncertainty and why is it important in science?

Uncertainty refers to the lack of precise knowledge about a particular measurement or observation. In science, uncertainty is important because it allows us to understand the limitations of our data and results, and helps us make informed decisions about the reliability and accuracy of our conclusions.

How is uncertainty measured and quantified?

Uncertainty is typically measured and quantified through the use of statistical analysis and probability calculations. This involves taking into account the range of possible values for a measurement or observation, and assigning a level of confidence to the estimated value based on the available data and experimental methods.

Is uncertainty consistent across different scientific disciplines?

No, uncertainty can vary across different scientific disciplines and even within the same discipline depending on the specific measurement or observation being studied. This is because different fields of study may have different levels of precision and accuracy in their data and methods.

How does uncertainty affect the interpretation of scientific results?

Uncertainty can greatly impact the interpretation of scientific results, as it can affect the confidence we have in our conclusions and the potential implications of our findings. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and communicate the level of uncertainty in their results to accurately convey the limitations of their research.

Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated in science?

No, uncertainty is an inherent aspect of scientific research and cannot be completely eliminated. However, through careful measurement and analysis, scientists can minimize uncertainty and improve the reliability and accuracy of their results.