Does Black Hole Information Storage Suggest a Holographic Universe?

In summary, scientists have been debating whether information that falls into a black hole is lost or somehow preserved for a while, and a recent study suggests that information may be stored on the surface of the black hole itself. This may imply a holographic universe, in which the physical world is just a representation of information.
alex2515
Hi.
I've always been fascinated by black holes. I have recently leared something new about them. It is regards to whether or not information that enters a black hole is lost or somehow preserverd? This is an important question because if it is the former case, then black holes would violate the law of the conservation of information, a super basic law.
What I cam to find out is that the information that falls into a black hole becomes stored, or smeard, around the suface (horizon) of the black hole itself. And that this ended a really long debate ragarding the matter.
I think I understand the concept well enough. A black hole acts like a stopwactch in a sense. Anwyway, something about this idea seems to suggest that the universe works like a hologram. In that the information it contains (or is), can be stored on a low dimensional sruface, and then projected outward. I was wondering if anyone could clarify some of the finer points of this idea. Specifcly, how does the fact that information becomes stored on the surface of the black hole seem to imply a (hologromiphic?) universe? And what would something like that mean?

Space news on Phys.org
I recently watched an episode on the Science channel where some scientists stated that they believe we might live in a hologram. How can this be? I can feel and touch objects around me. They look 3-dimensional. How can the physical world be just representations of information?

RisingSun361 said:
I recently watched an episode on the Science channel where some scientists stated that they believe we might live in a hologram. How can this be? I can feel and touch objects around me. They look 3-dimensional. How can the physical world be just representations of information?
Natural selection selected your ancestors because their brains best understood the information it was taking in. Evolution does not care whether they way that you represent things in your mind has any relationship to the universe as it actually is, it only cares about what helps you survive. You because you can see something, touch it... doesn't mean that's not an effect of something else. You've never actually touched anything. You've felt the electromagnetic repulsion of atoms in your skin to atoms in objects.

Also be careful about what you see on tv, writers exaggerate things. I literally heard this yesterday watching a documentary on Saturn.

Narrator: This chemistry could be indicate life, some scientists say we've already found it.
Scientist from NASA: The chemistry we see MIGHT be EVIDENCE of life.

When a narrator says a scientists "believes" something. Take it with a grain of salt, I doubt any scientist believes we live in a holographic universe, we have little evidence for that. If TV says a scientist believes that we live in a hologram, what I take from it is that a scientist believes he has evidence that we might live in a hologram, and I'll bet if you find the words the scientist actually said, he or she chose their words differently and purposefully.

Some narrators are involved in writing the script and are more careful with their words because they understood what they are talking about: David Attenborough, Neil DeGrass Tyson, Carl Sagan... Some narrators read a script prepared for them because they have a great voice: Liam Neeson, Sigourney Weaver, Morgan Freeman.

Last edited:
alex2515 said:
And that this ended a really long debate ragarding the matter.

I'm not sure all physicists would agree that the debate is ended. We still don't have a good theory of quantum gravity, and we would need one to know for sure that the proposed resolution you describe of the black hole information paradox is correct.

alex2515 said:
A black hole acts like a stopwactch in a sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

alex2515 said:
something about this idea seems to suggest that the universe works like a hologram. In that the information it contains (or is), can be stored on a low dimensional sruface, and then projected outward.

As newjerseyrunner pointed out, this is not what scientists actually believe. Nobody believes there is a "projector" that takes information on a black hole horizon, or a cosmological horizon, and projects it out as the 3-dimensional universe we observe and experience. At least, nobody believes it to the point of actually advocating it in a peer-reviewed scientific paper. (What is said in pop science specials on TV is another matter, but that's why those aren't reliable sources for the actual science.)

alex2515 said:
Anwyway, something about this idea seems to suggest that the universe works like a hologram.
Well, Leonard Susskind seems to have some thoughts on that idea...

Necropost alert!

alex2515's post is from November 2011, and he was last seen here at all (according to his profile) about a year later.

I noticed the post was from 2011, but I'm interested in this topic anyway; so instead of creating a new thread, I just replied. A discussion in this thread will still be helpful to me. I have already bookmarked Dr. Susskind's lecture.

1. Is there evidence that the universe is a hologram?

There is currently no concrete evidence that the universe is a hologram. The idea of a holographic universe is a theoretical concept proposed by some physicists, but it has not been proven or widely accepted.

2. How does the holographic principle relate to the idea of a holographic universe?

The holographic principle is a concept in physics that suggests that all the information contained in a 3D space can be encoded on a 2D surface. This idea has been applied to the universe, suggesting that the entire universe could be a projection of information from a 2D surface.

3. What implications would a holographic universe have on our understanding of reality?

If the universe is indeed a hologram, it would challenge our traditional understanding of reality and the physical laws that govern it. It would suggest that our perception of the universe is just a projection of information, rather than a physical reality.

4. How is the holographic universe theory related to string theory?

The holographic universe theory is often connected to string theory, as both involve the idea of a higher-dimensional reality. Some physicists have suggested that the holographic principle could help reconcile the discrepancies between quantum mechanics and general relativity, which is one of the main goals of string theory.

5. Could we ever prove that the universe is a hologram?

It is currently impossible to prove or disprove the theory of a holographic universe. However, scientists continue to study and test this concept through theoretical models and experiments. Only time will tell if we will ever have concrete evidence to support this idea.