Is the universe deterministic?

• Thread starter mihaiv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the causal relations that we see around us are complete and going back to the birth of universe. There is no real randomness, only causal relations and randomness in order to have free will.
nismaratwork said:
I don't believe that, but plenty do, and their concept of free-will combined with fate obviates the element of freedom.

How does randomness make it any better? A physicist I've spoken to says the future probability distributions of any system of wave functions is determined under a random interpretation, as the values in complex state space are determined (I'm not sure about HUP). It seems the best you can have is random & determined will. The outlook for a brain consciousness is just as bleak under both models. Neither has consciousness as a self-causal property, which is required for the free will that people on the street think they have (the ability to do otherwise - "emergence" and "downwards causation", i.e. the ability to either bias the brain's future probability distributions or bias what has to be under determinism). I don't see such a definition of free will to be possible under materialism.

I'm not talking about apeiron's, Georg's, brainstorm's definitions of free will.

In closing, randomness in the quantum realm is JUST as bad for free will as pure determinism. Neither gives a causally efficacious will.

However, as I've said, FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES, apeiron's, Georg's, and brainstorm's definitions of free will are valid.

This is not an invalid definition of free will. It has received substantive coverage in the literature. See wikipedia, consc.net, Kim's 2005 book has a nice section on this.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
People here seem to consistently forget that the WHOLE notion of causality is under question and in certain interpretations Determinism actually plays NO role. What Bell and Aspect proved was that determinism is very likely a fairytale. Now don't go multiversing on me before we can settle that at least 1 universe exists before i look/measure or potentially inquire about it.

If anyone is able to see the so-called God's view of the universe in their mind and is NOT majorly confused, he/she is not only deeply wrong about it, they have failed to grasp the fundamentals of what science is suggesting.

Georg said:
People here seem to consistently forget that the WHOLE notion of causality is under question and in certain interpretations Determinism actually plays NO role. What Bell and Aspect proved was that determinism is very likely a fairytale.

That's true.. Randomness could be (or is, by definition?) acausal.

Do you think self-causation of consciousness, assuming physicalism (i.e. no "soul"), is possible? Even logically possible?

Last edited:
apeiron:

It's generally assumed that we're making guesses about the territory based on the map. In general, that's what philosophy is (where science is more in the business of map-making).

imiyakawa said:
Do you think self-causation of consciousness, assuming physicalism (i.e. no "soul"), is possible? Even logically possible?

If we denounce realism, we are left with "esse ist percipi", or as George Berkeley would say - Are we but thoughts in the Mind of God?

Do you see another possibility? Bolzmann brains?

Pythagorean said:
It's generally assumed that we're making guesses about the territory based on the map. In general, that's what philosophy is (where science is more in the business of map-making).

Personally, I don't see a huge difference between philosophy and science (done properly!). Both can be described epistemologically as a modelling relation with the world.

http://www.panmere.com/?page_id=18

Philosophy is more generalised or meta. So science is making the map of this actual world, and philosophy is dreaming about the map of all possible worlds perhaps.

Science tightly ties the models to the observations. Philosophy generalises from the specifically observed to create ideas about general objects. And also generalises the logic of formal models so as to suggest general truths.

Taking a systems science view of anything, I would have a general philosophical map which says it must be organised as a local~global hierarchy and persist as a structure due to some throughput of entropy.

Or if I was taking a mechanical view of anything, I would have a different map of its probable structure - any structure would be composed of a set of definite atoms with intrinsic properties.

Last edited:
nismaratwork said:
People who believe in a completely deterministic universe, fates, and so forth. In other words, anyone who thinks that a god writes a destiny for them, or that the initial conditions at the BB did the same. I don't believe that, but plenty do, and their concept of free-will combined with fate obviates the element of freedom.

You can have a deterministic system without free-will that still is not pre-destined in any planned sense. Think of a tennis ball falling down through the branches of a tree. It can bounce in various directions, run into leaves, the wind blows it, etc. such that each interaction with other matter changes the path it takes to the next deterministic bounce or brush with leaves. Still, the ball doesn't have free-will in any sense. It's just the cocktail of deterministic forces it is subject to at any moment are partly the product of coincidence and randomness in the last deterministic impulse. You can't predict the path the ball will take, but it's not because it is exercising free-will.

brainstorm said:
You can have a deterministic system without free-will that still is not pre-destined in any planned sense. Think of a tennis ball falling down through the branches of a tree. It can bounce in various directions, run into leaves, the wind blows it, etc. such that each interaction with other matter changes the path it takes to the next deterministic bounce or brush with leaves. Still, the ball doesn't have free-will in any sense. It's just the cocktail of deterministic forces it is subject to at any moment are partly the product of coincidence and randomness in the last deterministic impulse. You can't predict the path the ball will take, but it's not because it is exercising free-will.

You're mixing unpredictability (in practice only) with randomness.

In a deterministic world, it is determined! That ball's path is determined. Everything is determined. You think the universe didn't know the wind was coming and it "slipped" or something?

Chaos never implies fundamental indeterminacy.

Last edited:
imiyakawa said:
You think the universe didn't know...
This, in my opinion, is one of the problems with understanding determinism.
No, the universe did not know. The universe doesn't know anything and certainly not ahead of time. You are anthropomorphising, and this only confuses the issue.

Initial conditions merely lead, causally, to resulting conditions.
Knowledge is a separate issue.

Put more simply, the causal chain does not imply purpose, or direction.

If a mobster pays a boxer to throw a fight, then the result of the fight is predetermined, even if most people predicted he would win and bet accordingly. What determines the winner however, in this case, is the ten count.
If a clumsy person with no training enters the ring against a champion, that would be an example of fate. No amount of effort on that person's part would make them win. (Assuming they have no choice but to fight fair)

Chaos never implies fundamental indeterminacy

True.

JoeDawg said:
This, in my opinion, is one of the problems with understanding determinism.
No, the universe did not know. The universe doesn't know anything and certainly not ahead of time. You are anthropomorphising, and this only confuses the issue.

Huh? What is the Universe in your opinion?! And how do you know it?

People are naive and like to assume, assume, assume... People now think they know everything. But the only thing they still don't know is that they actually don't know ANYTHING.

People always need someone to give it to them point blank, like "Sorry people, realism is wrong, there is no universe..."

You need to go back and rethink the double slit experiment done with C60 molecules and what it says about the assumption of objective reality. Molecules, atoms, and matter only have definite properties when you look, measure and inquire about them(this is also confirmed by the quantum eraser experiment, Bell's theorem, the HUP, the EPR, etc...).

Now we can sit down and talk about the most SERIOUS issue there could ever be before humanity - what the Hell is really going on?

Initial conditions merely lead, causally, to resulting conditions.

Naivety is the other name of humanity.

Last edited:
Joe said:
No, the universe did not know.

Lol! Of course I didn't mean it literally! Just for purposes of exposition.

Georg said:
People are naive and like to assume, assume, assume...

Joe simply said that a deterministic physical universe doesn't possesses the human semantic category of knowledge. That's all he's asserting. Of course it doesn't, unless the universe is aware. A prerequisite of knowledge is awareness.

If the universe isn't "real", then the universe cannot know, and so Joe is still correct.

Joe is not saying that the universe is deterministic. Joe is saying that a determined universe doesn't, as far as we know, posses knowledge.

imiyakawa said:
If the universe isn't "real", then the universe cannot know, and so Joe is still correct.

Joe is not saying that the universe is deterministic. Joe is saying that a determined universe doesn't, as far as we know, posses knowledge.

I took issue with the anthropomorphising part and it's visible(I think) from what followed in my post about the 'real' universe and what it actually is.

GeorgCantor said:
Huh? What is the Universe in your opinion?! And how do you know it?

People are naive and like to assume, assume, assume... People now think they know everything. But the only thing they still don't know is that they actually don't know ANYTHING.

Do people always need someone to give it to them point blank, like "Sorry people, realism is wrong, there is no universe..."?

You need to go back and rethink the double slit experiment done with C60 molecules and what it says about the assumption of objective reality. Molecules, atoms, and matter only have definite properties when you look, measure and inquire about them(this is also confirmed by the quantum eraser experiment, Bell's theorem, the HUP, the EPR, etc...).

Now we can sit down and talk about the most SERIOUS issue there could ever be before humanity - what the Hell is really going on?

Naivety is the other name of humanity.

what the Hell is really going on?

There is a giant melaluca (native gum tree) in my back yard. Probably about 40m high and 2m diameter at the base of the trunk. I visit it often. It is inhabited by a billion ants(more or less). I watch them as they go about their little lives in their little universe, furiously and incessantly rushing up and down the trunk.

Occasionally, I bang my fist on the trunk near their path. I suppose they would sense that, as I would sense a clap of thunder on my horizon.

Once I ripped off a piece of bark, and it came off in a large jagged sheet, causing much damage and havoc to the ants for some considerable time. I suppose to them, that would be as an earthquake would be to me, ripping the ground apart and rendering the Earth asunder.

Now we (they) can sit down and talk about the most SERIOUS issue there could ever be before humanity (antity) - what the Hell is really going on?

alt said:

There is a giant melaluca (native gum tree) in my back yard. Probably about 40m high and 2m diameter at the base of the trunk. I visit it often. It is inhabited by a billion ants(more or less). I watch them as they go about their little lives in their little universe, furiously and incessantly rushing up and down the trunk.

Occasionally, I bang my fist on the trunk near their path. I suppose they would sense that, as I would sense a clap of thunder on my horizon.

Once I ripped off a piece of bark, and it came off in a large jagged sheet, causing much damage and havoc to the ants for some considerable time. I suppose to them, that would be as an earthquake would be to me, ripping the ground apart and rendering the Earth asunder.

Now we (they) can sit down and talk about the most SERIOUS issue there could ever be before humanity (antity) - what the Hell is really going on?

My takeaway from this is that I really don't want to be an ant on your gum tree! ;)

Brainstorm: Imiyakawa beat me to it, but I never said that unpredictability obviates free will, or that it implies free will. Unpredictability, randomness, deterministic, and probabilistic... these are issues on the table and they are distinct, if linked. QM is probabilistic, not deterministic, but it is not random, although within a given domain it can be unpredictable. Where your photon strikes a detector screen is unpredictable, the distribution over time is predictable at large scales (interference patterns), but overall it is probabilistic, not deterministic. Random would have to include the null result, and many more.

alt said:

I wouldn't spend much time worrying about what kind of reality de-localized, indefinite, unmeasured and non-existent ants would experience.

Can non-existent ants wonder - what the Hell is really going on?

imiyakawa said:
You're mixing unpredictability (in practice only) with randomness.

In a deterministic world, it is determined! That ball's path is determined. Everything is determined. You think the universe didn't know the wind was coming and it "slipped" or something?

Chaos never implies fundamental indeterminacy.

The bounce-trajectory of one bounce and the wind determines the trajectory of the next bounce, but whatever factors intervene in the trajectory after that will influence where the next bounce occurs, etc. The ball's path is being determined, yes, but how can you say the factors determining it do not change according to how earlier factors interact? Do you mean to say that the entire course of events from the initial dropping of the ball to its final position on the ground could be predicted by a complex enough model? I think there are random variables that occur at multiple points in the ball's fall that reset the particular path the ball will take, which will be deterministic, until the next random factor is introduced.

brainstorm said:
.The ball's path is being determined, yes, but how can you say the factors determining it do not change according to how earlier factors interact? Do you mean to say that the entire course of events from the initial dropping of the ball to its final position on the ground could be predicted by a complex enough model? I think there are random variables that occur at multiple points in the ball's fall that reset the particular path the ball will take, which will be deterministic, until the next random factor is introduced.

Models of chaos don't demand that the local events are deterministic or random. What they demand is that events are uncorrelated. Then what emerges at the macro level is "determined" by global information, the system's boundary constraints. Or instead of saying determined, we should actually say constrained.

I mentioned this reference already in this thread, but it really is excellent on these issues.
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...906.3507v1.pdf

This is why, for instance, the same fractal patterns like Barnsley's fern or a Menger sponge can be generated by either iterative (deterministic) or stochastic (random) processes.

With a determined model, local events or processes become effectively un-correlated because of non-linear effects. With a random model, a lack of correlation is presumed. But chaos theory is about the system view where what counts is local independence in some strict fashion (call it spontaneity, but it could be either random or deterministic so long as it has the more essential property of being uncorrelated). And then also the second part of the systems story, the existence of global constraints to force the essentially unpatterned into a pattern.

Chaos theory (which was called deterministic chaos of course, because iterative non-linear processes were the early example) is thus good evidence of why determined~random is not a fundamental issue at the level of complex systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
GeorgCantor said:
Huh?
Sigh.
What is the Universe in your opinion?!
The universe is:
1) what is out there
2) everything I observe
3) the model I create that explains 1 and 2.
And how do you know it?
Through observation and reason.
You need to go back and rethink the double slit experiment
When you have managed to wedge Mike Tyson through a double slit, you will then have addressed my point. Until then, this is a non-sequitar.

Oh, and I recommend you ask nicely before you try, his freewill might decide to beat you to a bloody pulp.

imiyakawa said:
Lol! Of course I didn't mean it literally! Just for purposes of exposition.
But, when one talks about initial conditions predetermining outcomes, intent is implied.

This confuses the issue. Determinism is not about a goal or specific outcome, so when someone says that the initial conditions of the universe lead to my choice of ice cream flavor all they have done is moved the choice... from me... to whomever chose initial conditions. This makes a determinist argument against freewill nothing more than reductio ad absurdum. It is a demand for some sort of ultimate choice.

If the initial conditions are random, in the sense that they have no cause, then what you have are differing levels of freedom throughout the universe. In our case, we are self-contained systems that can interact with the external system. Thus, we have freewill... within that scope. Absolute freewill of course is nonsense.

apeiron said:
Models of chaos don't demand that the local events are deterministic or random. What they demand is that events are uncorrelated. Then what emerges at the macro level is "determined" by global information, the system's boundary constraints. Or instead of saying determined, we should actually say constrained.

I mentioned this reference already in this thread, but it really is excellent on these issues.
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...906.3507v1.pdf

This is why, for instance, the same fractal patterns like Barnsley's fern or a Menger sponge can be generated by either iterative (deterministic) or stochastic (random) processes.

With a determined model, local events or processes become effectively un-correlated because of non-linear effects. With a random model, a lack of correlation is presumed. But chaos theory is about the system view where what counts is local independence in some strict fashion (call it spontaneity, but it could be either random or deterministic so long as it has the more essential property of being uncorrelated). And then also the second part of the systems story, the existence of global constraints to force the essentially unpatterned into a pattern.

Chaos theory (which was called deterministic chaos of course, because iterative non-linear processes were the early example) is thus good evidence of why determined~random is not a fundamental issue at the level of complex systems.

You're saying what I meant, but in formal terms. Thanks. I was just trying to point out that chain-determinism isn't the only form determinism can take. Like I said in an earlier post, I think some people assume that determinism is synonymous with fate or destiny, as in event Z already being determined by event A without any intermediating variables in between. Events B-Y don't have to involve the exercise of free-will for them to influence the outcome at a subsequent event.

Also, I think your idea about finding macro-level systems-wide constraints is a little overly hopeful, but I do think relative consistency in certain patterns could be attributed to macro-factors expressed as distributed to micro processes and elements. For example, gravity does not always result in everything falling at the same speed or the same way as anything else, but it does account for a general pattern caused by the same force being expressed in everything in the same altitude of a given gravity well.

I would like to get into my obsession with attributing patterns of matter-energy expressions at the molecular level to macro-effects of the gravitational field on all interacting particles, but that would be hijacking the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeDawg said:
But, when one talks about initial conditions predetermining outcomes, intent is implied.

This confuses the issue. Determinism is not about a goal or specific outcome, so when someone says that the initial conditions of the universe lead to my choice of ice cream flavor all they have done is moved the choice... from me... to whomever chose initial conditions. This makes a determinist argument against freewill nothing more than reductio ad absurdum. It is a demand for some sort of ultimate choice.

If the initial conditions are random, in the sense that they have no cause, then what you have are differing levels of freedom throughout the universe. In our case, we are self-contained systems that can interact with the external system. Thus, we have freewill... within that scope. Absolute freewill of course is nonsense.

You've touched on a quintessential problem in free-will vs. determinism here, imo. I.e. the fact that people DESIRE to attribute choices to deterministic factors or, vice-versa, relatively determined choices to free will. Clearly the fact that both cases are possible indicate that free-will is undeniable (except insofar as people freely choose to deny it).

The really interesting question to me is what causes people to desire to deny their free-will in reflecting on particular choices or actions? Fear of responsibility or blame would be an obvious one, but are there potentially other benefits to hiding or denying one's voluntarism in making particular choices or engaging in certain actions/behaviors? What attracts people to the idea that they are an involuntary puppet?

brainstorm said:
What attracts people to the idea that they are an involuntary puppet?

What attracts people to blaming individuals for every aspect of their current situation?

People want simple answers... because the world is often overwhelming.

JoeDawg said:
What attracts people to blaming individuals for every aspect of their current situation?
The line between blaming and recognizing responsibility for actions is a fine one much of the time. Attributing responsibility to individuals for things they do has a lot to do with ascertaining whether someone actually committed a particular action, what their intent was in doing so, and whether they were aware of the potential effects of what they were doing. Of course, being ignorant of the effects doesn't prevent them from occurring, but it can mean the difference between attributing blame or simply ignorant responsibility.

What I find ironic is when ppl avoid blaming others because they have an internalized an ideology that no matter whose fault something is, blaming yourself wins you social approval points. This is why you have to listen to customer service reps constantly blame themselves for things that aren't their fault - i.e. because they're trying to manipulate you to like them and forgive them and their company. They don't actually care if it's their fault or their companies, nor do they honestly feel sorry.

People want simple answers... because the world is often overwhelming.

This also amazes me, especially because people often demand simplicity in the name of realism. If reality is complex, you would think that people would want to be realistic by NOT reducing the complexity of reality. Instead the opposite is true. People insist that "the reality is . . ." and then assert something deceptively simple. Only the truest scientists are interested in reality as it actually exists - and everyone else just uses knowledge to play social games and vie for power (not that scientists never do this - that's why I say "true" scientists).

JoeDawg said:
This confuses the issue. Determinism is not about a goal or specific outcome...

It would be true that determinism leads to the idea that everything simply unfolds from initial conditions, and so there is no room at all in this scheme for teleology of any stripe. Outcomes can have no effect on what happens, they are simply the emergent result. Determinism says there is only efficient cause (coupled with material cause).

But QM nonlocality is at least one experimentally verified and strong reason to doubt that this can be a "true" model of reality (as opposed to a generally useful one).

I am arguing from the perspective of a different model which accepts all four of Aristotle's causes, including finality. Constraints emerge, but also have a top-down or retrocausal role in the way they shape up what exists locally.

And it is a fact that people find it almost impossible not to think about reality in a-teleological terms. In evolution, for instance, people want to say traits evolve to fulfil a purpose. To a strict reductionist, presuming that only efficient causality exists, this is heresy. But systems science is quite comfortable with teleological language as it does have a proper place in the models - as a systems memory and anticipations, as its global constraints.

JoeDawg said:
When you have managed to wedge Mike Tyson through a double slit, you will then have addressed my point. Until then, this is a non-sequitar.

LOL

"Some things are so serious, that one can only joke about them".

Actually, molecules are matter and ironically, that which you've been taught in school - that you are to a large extent your own DNA, is also a molecule which will display particular characteristics only when :eek: YOU :eek: inquire about it.

The universe is:
1) what is out there

Yes, there exists an out there.

2) everything I observe

Yes, there are THINGS that are real and have properties out there whether you measure them or not.

3) the model I create that explains 1 and 2.

Now the only problem with the model you've created above is that it's contradicted by facts established in experiments and mathematical theorems. Einstein's dream is shattered but his ultimate dismay:

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."

may have finally been answered.

Through observation and reason.

Actually, that's a relevant point you are raising here as it pertains to the current discussion - namely the "everything is obvious" mentality, which has left us unable to answer 3 much simpler questions than that of freewill and determinism. Namely:

1. What the Hell is really going on?
2. What is really the difference between here and there?
3. What is really the difference between something and nothing?

Oh, and I recommend you ask nicely before you try, his freewill might decide to beat you to a bloody pulp.

lol

Ironically, your 'proposition' may be all it will take to answer the above three questions.

Last edited:
apeiron said:
It would be true that determinism leads to the idea that everything simply unfolds from initial conditions, and so there is no room at all in this scheme for teleology of any stripe. Outcomes can have no effect on what happens, they are simply the emergent result. Determinism says there is only efficient cause (coupled with material cause).

But QM nonlocality is at least one experimentally verified and strong reason to doubt that this can be a "true" model of reality (as opposed to a generally useful one).

I am arguing from the perspective of a different model which accepts all four of Aristotle's causes, including finality. Constraints emerge, but also have a top-down or retrocausal role in the way they shape up what exists locally.

And it is a fact that people find it almost impossible not to think about reality in a-teleological terms. In evolution, for instance, people want to say traits evolve to fulfil a purpose. To a strict reductionist, presuming that only efficient causality exists, this is heresy. But systems science is quite comfortable with teleological language as it does have a proper place in the models - as a systems memory and anticipations, as its global constraints.

I am glad to see people who show flexibility in their thinking, even if i don't agree with everything you say.

The point of the Philosophy forum should not be about who is right, but who is LESS wrong.

Last edited:
brainstorm said:

Perhaps they really are involuntary puppets(as they claim), and their sole purpose is to spread confusion among those who actually exist and are actually thinking about that which exists. :smile:

brainstorm said:
The ball's path is being determined, yes, but how can you say the factors determining it do not change according to how earlier factors interact?

I'm not saying this. In this deterministic universe that we're talking about, I'm not denying the violation of the superposition principle (non-linearity in the tennis ball system) OR that certain systems are unpredictably (in practice only) chaotic.

brainstorm said:
Do you mean to say that the entire course of events from the initial dropping of the ball to its final position on the ground could be predicted by a complex enough model?

If the universe is deterministic, then only in principle (probably).

brainstorm said:
I think there are random variables that occur at multiple points in the ball's fall that reset the particular path the ball will take, which will be deterministic, until the next random factor is introduced.

Could you clarify what you mean by "will be deterministic, until the next random factor is introduced". It sounds to me that you're trying to slip in randomness into this hypothetical. Or do you simply mean it's a stochastic process - the definition that statisticians et al. use?
----
brainstorm said:

It depends on perspective. IF the universe is fully deterministic, I am going to do 'X' 100% of the time (I probably won't be able to predict it, but this doesn't change anything). You may still think you have "Free will". I won't think so, even if the premise of determinism begs the question. I am going to think a certain thought right now and there's nothing that can be done about it. It's not about being attracted to the idea. It's a logical consequence of determinism. For practical purposes only, though, I will have consciously efficacious will.
----
Joedawg said:

Yes. What you're doing is crucial. People either argue from the definition of ultimate free will, deny it, get argued with from the other definition. Or, they say that free will exists for practical purposes, and get argued from those coming in from the deterministic/determined random perspective.

You said "determinism isn't about a specific outcome." I think you're arguing from the point of view of antecedent conditions, be they random or otherwise. I don't see how this changes anything, could you clarify?
-----
apeiron said:
(on teleology in systems) .. In evolution, for instance, people want to say traits evolve to fulfil a purpose... But systems science is quite comfortable with teleological language as it does have a proper place in the models - as a systems memory and anticipations, as its global constraints.

Surely evolution is not an example of the teleological evolution of a system? Actually... there are different way of thinking about evolution, that could definitely be one of them. My confusion is likely sourced from my misappropriation of your definition of a teleological process.

Last edited:
nismaratwork said:
My takeaway from this is that I really don't want to be an ant on your gum tree! ;)

..and that was even before I fired up the 22' Timberbear !

(just kidding - I love that tree !)

GeorgCantor said:
Perhaps they really are involuntary puppets(as they claim), and their sole purpose is to spread confusion among those who actually exist and are actually thinking about that which exists. :smile:

The problem is that I don't think anyone can actually ever transcend their free-will to truly become an involuntary puppet. I think their free-will always plays an integral role in their choice to go along with the puppeteer. No matter how habituated they become to responding to impetuses for action they perceive as totally external to themselves, I don't think their actions ever transcend free-will and become directly determined by external influences. They would just be hiding their free-will, I think.

brainstorm said:
The problem is that I don't think anyone can actually ever transcend their free-will to truly become an involuntary puppet. I think their free-will always plays an integral role in their choice to go along with the puppeteer. No matter how habituated they become to responding to impetuses for action they perceive as totally external to themselves, I don't think their actions ever transcend free-will and become directly determined by external influences. They would just be hiding their free-will, I think.

In a very small way, the concept of an abreaction during hypnosis is probably a fine example of your point.

alt said:
..and that was even before I fired up the 22' Timberbear !

(just kidding - I love that tree !)

Oh, I can see you love the tree, it is the ants who live in a constant state of anty dread (the anty-particle to dread). :wink:

I think you're enormously lucky to have a fine tree, and a million ants to observe at your leisure, and the ants are lucky that you appreciate both.

GeorgCantor said:
I wouldn't spend much time worrying about what kind of reality de-localized, indefinite, unmeasured and non-existent ants would experience

But you (we) do so with humans with little progress. I thought it would be neat to start again with ants.

Can non-existent ants wonder - what the Hell is really going on?

Of course ! They were flurrying around in a mad panic for several minutes. I'm sure they were thinking what the Hell is really going on?

nismaratwork said:
Oh, I can see you love the tree, it is the ants who live in a constant state of anty dread (the anty-particle to dread). :wink:

I think you're enormously lucky to have a fine tree, and a million ants to observe at your leisure, and the ants are lucky that you appreciate both.

I find it a microcosm of all there is .. a universe in a grain of sand, in a Blakish sort of a way :-)

brainstorm said:
The line between blaming and recognizing responsibility for actions is a fine one much of the time. Attributing responsibility to individuals for things they do has a lot to do with ascertaining whether someone actually committed a particular action, what their intent was in doing so, and whether they were aware of the potential effects of what they were doing. Of course, being ignorant of the effects doesn't prevent them from occurring, but it can mean the difference between attributing blame or simply ignorant responsibility.

What I find ironic is when ppl avoid blaming others because they have an internalized an ideology that no matter whose fault something is, blaming yourself wins you social approval points. This is why you have to listen to customer service reps constantly blame themselves for things that aren't their fault - i.e. because they're trying to manipulate you to like them and forgive them and their company. They don't actually care if it's their fault or their companies, nor do they honestly feel sorry.

This also amazes me, especially because people often demand simplicity in the name of realism. If reality is complex, you would think that people would want to be realistic by NOT reducing the complexity of reality. Instead the opposite is true. People insist that "the reality is . . ." and then assert something deceptively simple. Only the truest scientists are interested in reality as it actually exists - and everyone else just uses knowledge to play social games and vie for power (not that scientists never do this - that's why I say "true" scientists).

I don't mean to intrude too much on this thread, the intellection of which I'm quite in awe of, but can you tell, who are these 'true' scientists who are interested in reality as it actually exists ?