Is the universe flat ?

In summary, the universe is not flat in the sense that all objects are on the same level. Planets and other major bodies orbit stars in the same "plane" due to the way gas and dust clouds collapse during formation. The universe is considered "homogenous" at a large scale, with galaxies spread out in every direction. There is a discussion on the possibility of galaxies aligning around something beyond our comprehension, but this is unlikely. It is also debated whether the universe is infinite and flat, or finite with a 1/3 chance of being flat.
Erik B
Is the universe "flat" ?

I am only casually interested in astronomy so its rather difficult for me to articulate my thoughts, but I will try my best. Consider me a layman and please accordingly use layman's terms if possible when you write your answer. When I see planetary systems, galaxies etc. depicted all objects in the systems appear to be at the same... um.. altitude (I know that that is a terrible word to describe it but as I said its difficult for me to articulate this) and everything is on the same "level". That is what i mean by the question Is the universe "flat". If so, why is this ? Is there anything above or below the Earth? for instance if i was to take a spacecraft and fly directly upwards from the north pole or directly downwards from the south pole?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

The universe is far from flat in this sense. Planets and other major bodies typically orbit stars in approximately the same "plane" (the word you were looking for) because it is a result of the way the gas and dust clouds collapse during the formation of stellar systems. If we look far out into space we see many many different galaxies spread out in every direction, up and down, from one side to the other approximately equally. We refer to this as the universe being "homogenous" at the largest scale.

See this thread for more information: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=417310

planets align in a plane around sun so does stars around settled galaxies ,considering that sequence, galaxies might be in an alignment around something that lies far beyond the horizon of our comprehension of cosmic neighborhood .and it is logical to extend our thoughts in this manner.local movements of galaxies may not be in direct correlation to that central mass considering the mere distance

→if universe is infinite it would be flat
→if universe is finite , flatness have 1/3 chance

i'd say universe is infinite and flat :grumpy:

urmother said:
... galaxies might be in an alignment around something that lies far beyond the horizon of our comprehension of cosmic neighborhood

It is possible, but unlikely, for something like this to happen with galactic clusters, but for it to happen
beyond the horizon of our comprehension
is just nonsense

I can tell you that the concept of the universe being "flat" refers to its overall geometry. In this context, "flat" means that the universe is not curved in any direction, but rather exists in a flat, two-dimensional plane. This is a difficult concept to visualize, as our brains are used to thinking in three dimensions.

To answer your question, the current scientific consensus is that the universe is indeed flat. This is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. This radiation is incredibly uniform in all directions, which suggests that the universe is flat.

To address your observation about objects in the universe appearing to be on the same "level," this is due to the immense distances between objects in space. The universe is incredibly vast, and objects are spread out over billions of light years. From our perspective, everything may appear to be on the same "level," but in reality, they are just incredibly far apart.

As for your question about what lies above or below the Earth, it is important to remember that the Earth is just one small part of the universe. There is no "up" or "down" in space, as it is a three-dimensional expanse. If you were to travel directly upwards or downwards from the North or South Pole, you would eventually reach the same spot, as the universe is not oriented in any specific direction.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and provides some clarity on the concept of the universe being "flat." It is a complex and abstract concept, but one that scientists continue to study and explore in order to better understand our vast and mysterious universe.

1. Is the universe really flat?

The answer to this question is complex and still debated among scientists. According to the most recent observations and measurements, the universe appears to be very close to flat, but there is still some uncertainty and room for further exploration.

2. How do scientists determine the shape of the universe?

Scientists use various methods and observations, such as measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies, to determine the curvature of the universe and its overall shape.

3. What does it mean for the universe to be flat?

A flat universe means that the spatial geometry of the universe is flat, or Euclidean, and follows the rules of Euclidean geometry. This means that parallel lines will never meet and the angles of a triangle will always add up to 180 degrees.

4. Are there any implications of a flat universe?

Yes, a flat universe has important implications for the overall structure and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the expansion of the universe will continue forever, and that the overall density of matter and energy in the universe is very close to a critical value.

5. What are some alternative theories to a flat universe?

Some alternative theories propose a closed or open universe, which have different spatial geometries and implications for the fate of the universe. These theories are still being explored and studied by scientists.