Is the Washington Post compromised? (UFO story)

• Thread starter jlcd
  • Start date
In summary: The witnesses describe a strange, hovering, silent craft, sometimes emitting a bright light, that has routinely disturbed and even halted their work at some of the nation's most critical military sites."Yes, they mentioned witnesses from nuclear sites.
jlcd
Who reads the Washington Post here? Has it been compromised? This is because of this article. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...NlBejlVLqaex0If3WqhqzU&utm_term=.88afe38f3145

We modern society folks are not supposed to discuss anything not sanctioned by our official scientists. So did Washington Post violated it? Has it crossed the line? I have some collections of it. Give the word and I'll burn them at the stakes or campfire.

Physics news on Phys.org
The object in the video reminds of something... something I haven't seen in a long time... maybe Boba Fett has a bounty to collect on Earth...

jlcd said:
We modern society folks are not supposed to discuss anything not sanctioned by our official scientists. So did Washington Post violated it? Has it crossed the line? I have some collections of it. Give the word and I'll burn them at the stakes or campfire.
I'm a little bit tired and I read the article quite quickly, and I did not think it was so bad, considering the topic. The article was basically reporting things from other sources, although it's of course a very controversial and tricky topic. And of course UFOs exist, meaning Unidentified Flying Object. What they each are is quite another thing.

Likes davenn and 256bits
jlcd said:
Who reads the Washington Post here? Has it been compromised? This is because of this article. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...NlBejlVLqaex0If3WqhqzU&utm_term=.88afe38f3145
That looks like something of a blog; not really the newspaper:
Wapo said:
The Washington Post has debuted PostEverything, a digital daily magazine for voices from around the world. In PostEverything, outsiders will entertain and inform readers with fresh takes, personal essays, news analyses, and other innovative ways to tell the stories everyone is talking about—and the ones they haven’t yet heard.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2014/05/27/introducing-posteverything/?utm_term=.feb12333a43e
So sure, someone decided that was worthy of posting, but I wouldn't consider it to be of the same standard as the newspaper.
We modern society folks are not supposed to discuss anything not sanctioned by our official scientists. So did Washington Post violated it? Has it crossed the line?
I'm having trouble parsing that. The media is notoriously terrible at reporting science, doesn't look for things "sanctioned by our official scientists" (of which there is no such thing) and there are no lines. Were you seriously under the impression that a news media outlet like Wapo was providing you with quality science news?

Whenever I see a science story in the regular news media, it generally takes some effort to try to figure out what the actual story is, if any. They are rarely told correctly.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Blink 182, and I mean it - I saw them in concert on the tour when the picked-up Travis - but I don't trust them to inform me about science matters.

Likes 256bits, jim mcnamara and Bystander
In an answer to your question - no.

Apparently you equate unidentified flying objects like weather balloons, toy rockets, "real" rockets with extraterrestrial life. The article mentions this fact. All the article does is cite political science studies and news releases. And discuss the the idea (among many): UFO in its original meaning is a security threat. And some people view them as all kinds of things. Big deal.

No one is abashed about SETI, for example. https://www.seti.org/ Should we storm the place and burn it down? The whole project assumes ET exists, otherwise why bother?

Maybe this thread belongs in the Science fiction forum...

@russ_watters +1

Likes 256bits
ufo_2x.png

[Source: https://www.xkcd.com/2156/]

Likes vela, DennisN, russ_watters and 1 other person
I don't watch History channel. But it says the series will premiere today Friday May 31 at 10/9c.

What does 10/9c? Does it mean 10pm or 9pm, what's 9c?

What's disturbing is it seems Christopher Mellon, Former Deputy assistance secretary of defense is involved in the series?
Here's a video interview with him.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/christopher-mellon-official-ufo-sightings-real

Anyone know Mellon?

10 PM Eastern time, 9 PM Central time*

*(Usually this is also 10 PM Pacific time, since networks will often delay the broadcasts to the west coast such that prime time still lines up with the prime time broadcasts. Daylight savings time is assumed here too, in this case.)

I just saw this interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson on the topic and the UFO video, where he is very funny and serious at the same time (which is his hallmark):

Neil deGrasse Tyson: UFO doesn't mean aliens

Likes collinsmark
collinsmark said:
10 PM Eastern time, 9 PM Central time*

*(Usually this is also 10 PM Pacific time, since networks will often delay the broadcasts to the west coast such that prime time still lines up with the prime time broadcasts. Daylight savings time is assumed here too, in this case.)

I wasn't able to watch it because of some social function. Did they mention about witnesses from nuclear sites? I came across this book recently at PF with this summary:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1544822197/?tag=pfamazon01-20

"SECOND EDITION—REVISED AND UPDATED The reality of UFO incursions at American nuclear weapons facilities has been convincingly established. Hundreds of U.S. military veterans now openly discuss these ominous incidents and thousands of declassified government documents substantiate their revelations."

Where are the "Hundreds of U.S. military veterans"? The history series is said to be 6 parts. Maybe they would present them in the latter parts? It would be more interesting. Normally I'm bored with these topics already.

By the way. Just wondering. If Trump wants to launch all nukes. Can he do it alone in his attache case? If the attache case got stolen or compromised. Can we face worldwide nuclear doom? I sometimes get concerned about this.

jlcd said:
I wasn't able to watch it because of some social function. Did they mention about witnesses from nuclear sites?

I didn't see it. I don't watch crap like that. It's not worth my time.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I didn't see it. I don't watch crap like that. It's not worth my time.

You have a point. Maybe those things are just images of venus or saturn that somehow got amplified through the clouds with swamp gas and perhaps some baloons stick to it. But how about the sightings at the nuclear facilities. I watched a series where air would glow when it is ionized by radioactivity. So maybe those huge unidentified vehicles witnessed were just ionization. Yes. So it's nice to at least be concerned with these things for environmental health issues and climate change which can move the swamp gas or affect ionizations.

In episode two of the government public disclosure. They described over 100 of this Tic Tac appearing in Aegis radar coming from above the atmosphere and disappearing into Sta Catalina island near San Diego which they will talk about in episode 3.

nguwnp.jpg

e6bO91.jpg

m5r1S3.jpg

It's called Tic Tac because of this:

3rhrki.jpg

My theory is a kid throw a tic tac package from an airplane and just like venus and Jupiter it got amplified in the clouds acting like lens and with swamp gas some tic tac stick to it, and this is what the Navy saw in the radar and in the fighter jet visually, what do you think? Who lives or go to Sta Catalina Island. Did you see a lot of tic tac spearmints in the soil?

I think we've let this go on long enough.

• Haha
Likes Bystander, jim mcnamara and member 656954

1. Is the Washington Post intentionally spreading false information about UFOs?

No, the Washington Post is a reputable news source and would not intentionally spread false information. Their reporting on the UFO story is based on credible sources and evidence.

2. Why did the Washington Post publish this story about UFOs?

The Washington Post, like many other news outlets, reported on the story because it is a newsworthy topic that has gained attention and interest from the public. They are simply reporting on the information that has been made available.

3. How do we know that the Washington Post's sources are reliable?

The Washington Post has a strict vetting process for sources and information. They also have a team of fact-checkers who verify the accuracy of their reporting. Additionally, the sources for the UFO story have been confirmed by government officials and other credible individuals.

4. Are there any conflicts of interest or biases that may compromise the Washington Post's reporting on this story?

There is no evidence to suggest that the Washington Post has any conflicts of interest or biases in their reporting on the UFO story. They are a well-respected news organization known for their objective and thorough reporting.

5. How can we trust the Washington Post's reporting on this story?

The Washington Post has a long history of credible and accurate reporting. They have won numerous awards for their journalism and have a reputation for holding high standards for their reporting. Additionally, the sources and evidence for the UFO story have been corroborated by other news outlets and government officials.