Is the entropy in the universe increasing?

In summary: Hi Rainman,Condition (a) is that the system is isolated and at thermal equilibrium. When a system is in these conditions, entropy will remain the same.
harvhk852
I have been stuck on the question for so long...please can you see if you can help me out.:smile:

Is the entropy in the universe increasing? If yes, when did entropy start increasing? if no, what is happening to entropy in the universe?

Thank you very much for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Entropy is always increasing with every interaction of energy in the universe. Entropy can either stay the same or it can increase. It can not decrease*.

*Caveat: One form of the second law states that entropy can not be destroyed, but this is truly not a law. The probability of entropy decreasing is so small that it would take a very, very long time for it to ever happen. In other words, it is very safe to say that it will not decrease.

Hi Fred,
FredGarvin said:
Entropy is always increasing with every interaction of energy in the universe. Entropy can either stay the same or it can increase. It can not decrease*.

*Caveat: One form of the second law states that entropy can not be destroyed, but this is truly not a law. The probability of entropy decreasing is so small that it would take a very, very long time for it to ever happen. In other words, it is very safe to say that it will not decrease.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think there might be two more caveats (actually, boundary conditions) that might need to be added to quote the second law in its complete form:

Entropy increases for a system that is:

a) Isolated and
b) Far from thermal equilibrium.

I believe that when a system is at thermal equilibrium (and isolated) is the case you cited about entropy remaining constant. The reason I bring up condition (a) is because some folks can get confused by a control volume where local entropy decreases do occur (as a result of energy being added to the control volume).

Am I off base here? :biggrin:
Rainman

I always remember talking about this in intro college physics with the example of a hard drive -- in a sense, the surface of the hard drive is decreasing in entropy (because the files have some "order" to them). However, the entropy of the universe is increased because of the fossil fuel being burned to generate the electricity -- the heat from the processor, etc. So local entropy can decrease, but the entropy of the universe increases as a result.

1. Is the number of galaxies in the universe increasing?

The exact number of galaxies in the universe is not known, as new galaxies are constantly being discovered. However, based on observations and theories, it is believed that the number of galaxies is indeed increasing over time.

2. Is the universe expanding because of the increase in galaxies?

The expansion of the universe is not directly caused by the increase in galaxies. It is actually due to the concept of dark energy, which is a force that is pushing the galaxies apart.

3. Will the universe ever stop expanding and reach a maximum size?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time.

4. Can we measure the rate at which the universe is increasing?

Yes, scientists use a measurement called the Hubble constant to determine the rate of expansion of the universe. This is done by measuring the distances between galaxies and how quickly they are moving away from each other.

5. Is the increase in the universe's size related to the Big Bang theory?

Yes, the expansion of the universe is a key component of the Big Bang theory. According to this theory, the universe began as a single point and has been expanding ever since. The increase in its size is a result of this expansion.