Zener Diode On: Understanding Current Flow in a Circuit

• Thread starter Pushoam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, a zener diode can turn on and allow current to flow if the voltage across it is above the zener voltage, and it can be determined if it is on by measuring the voltage or observing changes in the circuit. Its purpose is to maintain a constant voltage and it can be effectively turned on or off by controlling the voltage and current in the circuit. If it is not turned on, it will not function as a voltage regulator and may cause issues in the circuit.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-15_14-51-40.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the zener diode is on.
For this the current flowing through 1k##\Omega ~~i.e. ~~I_1## should be grater than the 3k##\Omega## i.e.##I_3##.
##I_3= 10/3~ mA
\\I_1 = 4 ~mA##
Clearly,##I_1 > I_3##. So, there is some current going through the zener diode. Hence, the zener diode is on.
Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-15_13-27-25.png
    upload_2017-9-15_13-27-25.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 472
  • upload_2017-9-15_13-31-4.png
    upload_2017-9-15_13-31-4.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis is correct.

Thank you.

You could also see that without the zener the voltage would be 14/(3/4) = 10.5V which is > 10V.

Likes Pushoam
Thank you.

1. Is the zener diode on?

The answer to this question depends on the current flowing through the diode and the voltage across it. If the voltage is above the zener voltage, the diode will turn on and allow current to flow. If the voltage is below the zener voltage, the diode will be off and no current will flow.

2. How do I know if the zener diode is on?

To determine if the zener diode is on, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the diode. If the voltage is close to the zener voltage, the diode is likely on. Additionally, you can observe if current is flowing through the diode or if any changes occur in the circuit when the diode is on.

3. What is the purpose of a zener diode?

A zener diode is a type of diode designed to maintain a constant voltage across its terminals, even when the current through it varies. It is commonly used in voltage regulation circuits and to protect other components from overvoltage.

4. Can a zener diode be turned on/off?

Technically, a zener diode cannot be turned on or off like a switch. Its state is determined by the voltage and current in the circuit. However, by controlling the voltage and current in the circuit, the diode can be effectively turned on or off.

5. What happens if the zener diode is not turned on?

If the zener diode is not turned on, it will not function as a voltage regulator and the voltage across its terminals will not be constant. This can cause issues in the circuit, such as overvoltage, and may lead to damage of other components. It is important to ensure the zener diode is functioning properly in a circuit.