Is there a better way to assign current direction in circuit analysis?

In summary: In other words, the direction of the current through the external circuit is not necessarily what you would expect if you were to follow the current arrow drawn by the user.2. Especially in nodal analysis, would I follow a single current flow throughout, or I assign current direction by loop?In general, it's a good idea to follow a single current flow throughout an entire circuit. But if you're only interested in a certain part of the circuit, you can follow a current through the circuit by loop.
Electgineer
Is there like a rule of thumb, or a simple hack for assigning current direction in circuit analysis? Even when I m consistent with the direction I choose, I still get the wrong answer most of the time.
1. Do current source or voltage source affect when choosing current direction?
2. Especially in nodal analysis, would I follow a single current flow throughout, or I assign current direction by loop?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electgineer said:
Is there like a rule of thumb, or a simple hack for assigning current direction in circuit analysis?
It is utterly irrelevant. Just assign a direction and do the math.

Likes lewando and jim hardy
I think what confuses people in this matter is the opposition between what is conventionally called the direction of current flow, and the actual direction of electron flow, along with the arbitrariness and imperspicuity of which charge is called negative and which positive. In ordinary English, a surplus goes to fill a deficit, and in real life, electrons move toward protons much more than protons move toward electrons, but for historical reasons, the convention for direction of current flow is the reverse of that.

urgent_mission.png

sysprog said:
in real life, electrons move toward protons much more than protons move toward electrons...
This statement is true due to the difference in mass of the objects, but this is not what is concerning the OP.

The convention is what it is. @phinds nails it.

lewando said:
This statement is true due to the difference in mass of the objects, but this is not what is concerning the OP.
It's confusing to say that electrons flow in one direction and 'current' flows in the opposite direction. We don't do that because it's perspicuous, and we don't embrace the imperspicuity because it's independently preferable; we tolerate the misleadingness of the convention because the convention is so strongly established that the cost of correcting it is something we're unwilling pay in exchange for the comparatively small benefit that would accrue from doing so. I think it's still beneficial to point out the flaw as as a source of confusion, even if it's not precisely the source of the empuzzlement expressed by @Electgineer.
The convention is what it is.
I think that the convention isn't what it ideally should be. Yes, the convention is what it is, for historical reasons, instead of being something more directly, as distinguished from more inversely, corresponding to what is really going on. It's obvious that re-naming something doesn't change its physical properties. Calling 'dephlogisticated air' oxygen didn't change any chemical reactions, but it did contribute to making chemistry more readily understandable.
@phinds nails it.
Nothing I said disagreed with what he said, but I would caution that, when dealing with electricity, it's often important to distinguish correctly between source and sink.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
My personal preference is to make them all face the same direction ie. all inward or all outward. I don't have to worry about any bookkeeping and I'll let the mathematics dictate the direction.

Something like this:

Here's an example with a classic Voltage Divider. I know it's simple, but the point is to show that the direction didn't matter.

Last edited:
Likes sysprog and Tom.G
Electgineer said:
Is there like a rule of thumb, or a simple hack for assigning current direction in circuit analysis? Even when I m consistent with the direction I choose, I still get the wrong answer most of the time.
1. Do current source or voltage source affect when choosing current direction?
Where there is a voltage source, the current direction through the external circuit due to that source is from its + terminal...through the external circuit...then back to the source's negative terminal. So mark the current arrow to show that direction. If the external circuit is a resistor, R, then you can mark the value of that current as V/R.

But suppose that you (or someone else) has already drawn the current arrow in a direction opposite to what I described, then you can work with that, but the value of the current that you mark on that arrow becomes –V/R.

1. What is the traditional method of assigning current direction in circuit analysis?

The traditional method of assigning current direction in circuit analysis is to assume a direction for each current and then use the sign convention to determine whether the actual current flow is in the assumed direction or in the opposite direction.

2. What are the limitations of the traditional method?

The traditional method of assigning current direction can be time-consuming and prone to errors, especially in complex circuits. It also does not take into account the actual flow of electrons, which can be counterintuitive in certain situations.

3. Is there a better way to assign current direction in circuit analysis?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as the passive sign convention and the reference node method that can be used to assign current direction in circuit analysis. These methods take into account the actual flow of electrons and can be more efficient and accurate.

4. How does the passive sign convention work?

The passive sign convention states that the direction of current flow should be assigned based on the voltage drop across a passive element (such as a resistor) in the circuit. The current is assumed to flow from the higher potential to the lower potential, and the direction is assigned accordingly.

5. How does the reference node method work?

The reference node method involves selecting a reference node in the circuit and then assigning current directions based on the flow of current away from or towards that node. This method can be especially useful in analyzing circuits with multiple sources and complex current paths.