Is there a classical book on particle physics

In summary: Check out Georgi Oganov and Dimitry A. Moroz's book, Weak Interactions and Quantum Fields, which is a comprehensive introduction to the theory.
wing of jupiter
like the title
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by classical book ?

It sure can't be about classical physics...

For QM : Bransden and Joachain
For QFT : QFT in a Nutshell by A Zee

marlon

Marlon,i think you missinterpreted his words:"classical book" on "particle physics"...

My advice:Use good books on QM & QFT to get aquainted to the topic of quantum fields & particles.Then u can go to Aichinson & Hey,D.J.Griffiths and others...

Daniel.

Also check out Cahn and Goldhaber's, The Experimental Foundations of Particle Physics -- covers 1895 (X rays, and the electron) to 1983 (W Boson), with many important original papers, and solid discussion of the theoretial and experimental issues. My copy is a bit old, and there well may be a more updated version.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

As an introductory review, I would recommend :
Quarks and Leptons
An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics
Halzen & Martin
This self-contained text describes breakthroughs in our understanding of the structure and interactions of elementary particles. It provides students of theoretical or experimental physics with the background material to grasp the significance of these developments
Although, if you lean towards theory, you might prefer Zee's nutshell.

Again for experimentalist, if you are already more advanced :
Dynamics of the Standard Model
Cambridge Monographs on Particle Physics, Nuclear Physics and Cosmology
John F. Donoghue, Eugene Golowich, Barry R. Holstein
This book gives a detailed account of the Standard Model of particle physics, focussing on the techniques by which the model can produce information about real observed phenomena. It opens with a pedagogic account of the theory of the Standard Model. Introductions to the essential calculational techniques are included. The major part of the text is concerned with the use of the Standard Model in the calculation of physical properties of particles. Rigorous and reliable methods (radiative corrections and nonperturbative techniques based on symmetries and anomalies) are emphasized, but other useful models (such as the quark and Skyrme models) are also described. The strong and electroweak interactions are not treated as independent threads but rather are woven together into a unified phenomenological fabric. Many exercises and diagrams are included.

Without further details, if you like theory (all Cambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics from which you could in principle pick any volume, they are all excellent. Some are better :wink:) you must really like theory to go into that

Gauge Field Theories
Stefan Pokorski

By master Steven Weinberg :
The Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume 1, Foundations
The Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume 2, Modern Applications
and if you are still willing to go further :
The Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume 3, Supersymmetry

Some of you think there is not worse ?
There is, and it's free :

have fun at Warren Siegel's web page and find out
The first free comprehensive textbook on quantum (and classical) field theory. The approach is pragmatic, rather than traditional or artistic: It includes practical techniques, such as the 1/N expansion (color ordering) and spacecone (spinor helicity), and diverse topics, such as supersymmetry and general relativity, as well as introductions to supergravity and strings. The PDF version can be more convenient than paper books, with Web links and a clickable outline (contents) window.
also here : Fields

Last and worse of all : if you cannot help axiomatizing anything in your life, if you reduct categories of super-morphisms on a curved twistor space for breakfast (well, in that case, never mind, just explain it to the rest of us :bugeye:), take a glance at what people like Witten can write out, for us regular human beings it's hard to swallow :
1996-97 Quantum Field Theory program at IAS

WOW, what a summary, Humanino,...glad to have you back on board...

J'espère vraiment que la vie se passe assez bien pour toi??
Comment vas-tu...et le doctorat ?

marlon

I'm looking for Pokorski's book.Hopefully,it will meet with my standards...:wink:

Daniel.

thank you very much!

I'm now reading Weinberg' QFT
Have you ever heard Weak interaction by H.Geoge?
多谢了

Nope,Okun and Bailin have written good books on weak interactions,though...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I'm looking for Pokorski's book.Hopefully,it will meet with my standards...:wink:

Daniel.

That is just a GREAT BOOK! :!) Thank you,Humanino! :approve:

Daniel.

P.S.Marlon,it's really awesome...

wing of jupiter said:
I'm now reading Weinberg' QFT
Have you ever heard Weak interaction by H.Geoge?
多谢了

You probably mean Georgi.

1. What is a classical book on particle physics?

A classical book on particle physics is a book that covers the fundamental principles and theories of particle physics, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and the Standard Model. It may also include historical background and experimental evidence for these theories.

2. Is there a specific book that is considered the "classical" book on particle physics?

There is no single book that is universally considered the "classical" book on particle physics. However, some popular and highly regarded books in this field include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "Particles and Nuclei: An Introduction to the Physical Concepts" by Bogdan Povh, and "The Standard Model in a Nutshell" by Dave Goldberg.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading a classical book on particle physics?

Yes, a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is necessary to fully grasp the concepts in a classical book on particle physics. This may include knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics.

4. Can a non-scientist read and understand a classical book on particle physics?

It may be challenging for a non-scientist to fully understand a classical book on particle physics without some background knowledge in physics and mathematics. However, there are some books written for a general audience that provide a more accessible introduction to the subject.

5. Are classical books on particle physics still relevant today?

Yes, classical books on particle physics are still relevant as they lay the foundation for understanding the current theories and research in this field. However, they may not include the most recent advancements and discoveries in particle physics.