1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a clever method for integrating over asymetric paraboloids

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    There are a few questions on the forum about calculating the volume enclosed between an upwards-opening and a downwards-opening paraboloids, and I think I understand the method there. However they all involve symmetric paraboloids, and the intersection of the pair is always contained within a circular cylinder.

I tried to apply the method to a similar question with one symmetric and one asymmetric paraboloid, specifically

z = 6 -7x^2 -y^2

And here it is impossible to reduce to polar coordinates. So finding the volume of the paraboloid contained in a relevant elliptical cylinder is harder.

But then I remembered that there is no way to find the circumference of a non-circular ellipse. So I'm not sure if I can find a finite expression for the portion of the asymetric paraboloid contained within the cylinder that contains all intersections of the two paraboloids.

In short, how would I approach this sort of problem? Is there a trick to it?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?