Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is There A Cobbler In The House?

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1
    So I just bought a new pair of shoes and they have already developed squeaky shoe syndrome. They have this odd ring shaped tread on part of the sole that wore away really quickly. One of the rings is completely gone. Since it seems to be located exactly where my foot places the most pressure as I walk and it is now just flat raw rubber it sqeaks really loudly when I walk.
    I tried putting tape on it, didn't work. I tried just removing the last few scraps of rubber that were attached thinking they may be the cause. Nope. I tried roughing the area thinking that might work but that seems almost to have made it worse.
    Does any one have any idea how I can get it to stop?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2
    Buy bigger shoes

4. Feb 19, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

mmmmmmmm.....cobbler......

sorry.

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geez, talking about cobbler here, and baguettes in P&WA, I'm getting hungry.

I don't know of any solution for squeaky shoes other than to only walk on carpet. Sometimes it's not the shoes, but the floor.

6. Feb 19, 2006 #5
    Nope. It's just the one shoe and it sqeaks on just about any surface I walk on including carpet. It's driving me nuts! And I just bought the darn things!

7. Feb 19, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess you could try returning them and complain they wore out way too quickly (since it sounds like they're too worn to just say they didn't fit). Is the squeaking coming from the shoe contacting the flooring, or your foot shifting in the shoe? I've had both problems with different pairs of shoes. I really don't know how to fix the problem with the soles, it seems they either need to wear down on their own or just squeak forever. If it's your foot shifting in the shoe, you could try replacement insoles or thicker socks to take up more space in the shoe...it could be that the shoe stretched after you wore it a bit and is now a bit too loose.

8. Feb 19, 2006 #7
    I don't think you need a cobbler. This is some sort of friction problem and requires a physicist. Can't imagine, though, where you're going to find one.

9. Feb 19, 2006 #8
    Man I feel your pain.

[​IMG]

I have a pair of shoes similar to this one. That strap tightens that flap of leather running up the middle of the shoe where you would normally have your laces, but becasue there are no laces the leather rubs against eachother as you walk making this errrrrr, errrrrrrrrr,errrrrrrrrr,errrrrrrrr noise. I stopped wearing them because of it. :mad: :mad:!

10. Feb 19, 2006 #9
    Did you get those shoes for the 17th century?The store must of been really old..

11. Feb 19, 2006 #10
    Those are actually quite modern. You have never seen anyone wearing shoes like that before? Everyone wheres shoes like that around here. You must not have any style.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  12. Feb 19, 2006 #11
    It's the friction of the raw worn rubber on the floor.
    I'm not sure if they'd let me return them or not. The reason I bought these ones is because they were the only shoe they had that fit what I need and don't look terrible.

Those shoes look nice Cyrus. I always hate it when I buy something nice and it turns out to have some sort of defect that you can't really detect until you've bought them and used them a bit.

13. Feb 19, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, they're really hard to come by, especially around here. :rofl:

14. Feb 19, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, you can now appreciate the plight of women! This is the real reason women have so many shoes...we buy a pair, they seem just fine in the store, you get them home, and swear someone switched them when they put them in the bag...suddenly there's a spot that rubs a blister into your heel, or strangles your instep, or a buckle that's either just a little too big or a little too small, or you realize the arch support isn't really supporting anything, or it pinches your toes when your foot slides forward after they stretch just a millimeter bigger after you wear them for the first hour. :grumpy:

15. Feb 19, 2006 #14
    That's what almost ALL dress shoes do to my heel. It hurts like hell. :frown:

16. Feb 19, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, stop buying women's shoes! :biggrin: I thought men were always bragging that their shoes don't hurt their feet and women are the foolish ones for buying uncomfortable shoes. :rolleyes:

17. Feb 19, 2006 #16
    Dress shoes tend not to be very comfortable. But men usually only where those sorts of shoes if they have to. Women are so nutty that they wear uncomfortable shoes to go out and have a good time in.

18. Feb 20, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So men don't wear dress shoes for occassions when they plan to have a good time? :biggrin:

19. Feb 20, 2006 #18

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Some women. Some women, goshdarnit. :grumpy: :tongue2:

(Those must be pretty big shoes too.)

20. Feb 20, 2006 #19
    Not usually. While a wedding or some such may turn out to be fun we wear the shoes because of the occasion. If we go out on a date or something of that sort we usually wear comfy shoes. I've worn nice shoes on only one date and that was because we were going to see a play.

Yes, sorry, some women.

Why does every one think they must be big shoes?:confused:

21. Feb 20, 2006 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

It seems you're the only one who's never heard the Groucho story, "One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?