Is There A Cobbler In The House?

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary: It's not just that we have to wear a lot of shoes, it's that we have to wear a lot of shoes that fit poorly. In summary, the shoes have this odd ring shaped tread on part of the sole that wore away really quickly. One of the rings is completely gone. The squeaking comes from the shoes contacting the flooring, or your foot shifting in the shoe. There is no solution for the shoes other than to only walk on carpet.
TheStatutoryApe
So I just bought a new pair of shoes and they have already developed squeaky shoe syndrome. They have this odd ring shaped tread on part of the sole that wore away really quickly. One of the rings is completely gone. Since it seems to be located exactly where my foot places the most pressure as I walk and it is now just flat raw rubber it sqeaks really loudly when I walk.
I tried putting tape on it, didn't work. I tried just removing the last few scraps of rubber that were attached thinking they may be the cause. Nope. I tried roughing the area thinking that might work but that seems almost to have made it worse.
Does anyone have any idea how I can get it to stop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buy bigger shoes

mmmmmmmm...cobbler...

sorry.

Geez, talking about cobbler here, and baguettes in P&WA, I'm getting hungry.

I don't know of any solution for squeaky shoes other than to only walk on carpet. Sometimes it's not the shoes, but the floor.

Moonbear said:
I don't know of any solution for squeaky shoes other than to only walk on carpet. Sometimes it's not the shoes, but the floor.
Nope. It's just the one shoe and it sqeaks on just about any surface I walk on including carpet. It's driving me nuts! And I just bought the darn things!

I guess you could try returning them and complain they wore out way too quickly (since it sounds like they're too worn to just say they didn't fit). Is the squeaking coming from the shoe contacting the flooring, or your foot shifting in the shoe? I've had both problems with different pairs of shoes. I really don't know how to fix the problem with the soles, it seems they either need to wear down on their own or just squeak forever. If it's your foot shifting in the shoe, you could try replacement insoles or thicker socks to take up more space in the shoe...it could be that the shoe stretched after you wore it a bit and is now a bit too loose.

I don't think you need a cobbler. This is some sort of friction problem and requires a physicist. Can't imagine, though, where you're going to find one.

Man I feel your pain.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/images/20463sm.jpg

I have a pair of shoes similar to this one. That strap tightens that flap of leather running up the middle of the shoe where you would normally have your laces, but becasue there are no laces the leather rubs against each other as you walk making this errrrrr, errrrrrrrrr,errrrrrrrrr,errrrrrrrr noise. I stopped wearing them because of it. :mad: :mad:!

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Man I feel your pain.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/images/20463sm.jpg
[/URL]
Did you get those shoes for the 17th century?The store must of been really old..

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are actually quite modern. You have never seen anyone wearing shoes like that before? Everyone wheres shoes like that around here. You must not have any style.

Last edited:
Moonie said:
Is the squeaking coming from the shoe contacting the flooring, or your foot shifting in the shoe?
It's the friction of the raw worn rubber on the floor.
I'm not sure if they'd let me return them or not. The reason I bought these ones is because they were the only shoe they had that fit what I need and don't look terrible.

Those shoes look nice Cyrus. I always hate it when I buy something nice and it turns out to have some sort of defect that you can't really detect until you've bought them and used them a bit.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think you need a cobbler. This is some sort of friction problem and requires a physicist. Can't imagine, though, where you're going to find one.
I don't know, they're really hard to come by, especially around here. :rofl:

TheStatutoryApe said:
It's the friction of the raw worn rubber on the floor.
I'm not sure if they'd let me return them or not. The reason I bought these ones is because they were the only shoe they had that fit what I need and don't look terrible.

Those shoes look nice Cyrus. I always hate it when I buy something nice and it turns out to have some sort of defect that you can't really detect until you've bought them and worn them a bit.
Ah, you can now appreciate the plight of women! This is the real reason women have so many shoes...we buy a pair, they seem just fine in the store, you get them home, and swear someone switched them when they put them in the bag...suddenly there's a spot that rubs a blister into your heel, or strangles your instep, or a buckle that's either just a little too big or a little too small, or you realize the arch support isn't really supporting anything, or it pinches your toes when your foot slides forward after they stretch just a millimeter bigger after you wear them for the first hour. :grumpy:

there's a spot that rubs a blister into your heel

That's what almost ALL dress shoes do to my heel. It hurts like hell. :frown:

cyrusabdollahi said:
That's what almost ALL dress shoes do to my heel. It hurts like hell. :frown:
Well, stop buying women's shoes! :biggrin: I thought men were always bragging that their shoes don't hurt their feet and women are the foolish ones for buying uncomfortable shoes. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Well, stop buying women's shoes! :biggrin: I thought men were always bragging that their shoes don't hurt their feet and women are the foolish ones for buying uncomfortable shoes. :rolleyes:
Dress shoes tend not to be very comfortable. But men usually only where those sorts of shoes if they have to. Women are so nutty that they wear uncomfortable shoes to go out and have a good time in.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Dress shoes tend not to be very comfortable. But men usually only where those sorts of shoes if they have to. Women are so nutty that they wear uncomfortable shoes to go out and have a good time in.
So men don't wear dress shoes for occassions when they plan to have a good time? :biggrin:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Women are so nutty that they wear uncomfortable shoes to go out and have a good time in.
Some women. Some women, goshdarnit. :grumpy: :tongue2:

(Those must be pretty big shoes too.)

Moonie said:
So men don't wear dress shoes for occassions when they plan to have a good time?
Not usually. While a wedding or some such may turn out to be fun we wear the shoes because of the occasion. If we go out on a date or something of that sort we usually wear comfy shoes. I've worn nice shoes on only one date and that was because we were going to see a play.

honestrosewater said:
Some women. Some women, goshdarnit. :grumpy: :tongue2:

(Those must be pretty big shoes too.)
Yes, sorry, some women.

Why does every one think they must be big shoes?:confused:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Why does every one think they must be big shoes?:confused:
It seems you're the only one who's never heard the Groucho story, "One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."

honestrosewater said:
It seems you're the only one who's never heard the Groucho story, "One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."
I've heard that one before.
So you're making some sort of primate joke then? That's just racist!:tongue:

back to the squeeky shoes. Pay more attention to the squeeks. it's not being caused by the bottom of the shoe and the floor. The squeeks are two pieces of the shoe rubbing against each other. Find the squeek point and fix the problem.

tribdog said:
back to the squeeky shoes. Pay more attention to the squeeks. it's not being caused by the bottom of the shoe and the floor. The squeeks are two pieces of the shoe rubbing against each other. Find the squeek point and fix the problem.
Aha! I always suspected you were a cobbler.

honestrosewater said:
Aha! I always suspected you were a cobbler.
why? cause you want to eat me?

tribdog said:
why? cause you want to eat me?
No, cause you're a crumby pile of goo.

lol, you are funny

tribdog said:
I'm pretty sure that's not it. I had already thought that was the case and removed any extraneous bits of the sole so that it was all smooth. It seems only worse. The area where the sqeak is is definitely the smooth worn area, I already double and triple checked in my attempts to figure out what to do to make it go away.
Thank you for the advice though Trib.
I've been thinking about cutting away the flat bit that's still there or maybe carving it out to something similar to the thread that was on it before. I really don't want to risk ruining the soles though.

shoes don't squeek on all different types of floors. and on most floors you really have to try to make it squeek. put some talcum powder on the bottom of your shoe and if it still squeeks then you know the problem is internal,(which I already know it is, but you don't want to listen)

Dangnabbit, I've read this thread too many times, and now I can't get it out of my head! "All around the cobbler's bench, the monkey chased the weasel..." :grumpy:

my monkey chased the weasel around a mulberry bush

I thought K-Swiss was the trendy fashion thing?

tribdog said:
shoes don't squeek on all different types of floors. and on most floors you really have to try to make it squeek. put some talcum powder on the bottom of your shoe and if it still squeeks then you know the problem is internal,(which I already know it is, but you don't want to listen)
I'm sorry I doubted the Trib.
I checked my shoes more closely last night and wound up finding that there indeed was a place where one layer of the sole was no longer attached to the other. I picked up some Shoe Goo today to fix it.
Thank you Trib.:redface:

Hi,

This is Jimmy Fingers, the mindreader and mentalist.

I had the same problem with a used, ebay purchased pair of comfortable Johnston & Murphy loafers. I was almost positive it was the contact of the sole and the floor, but, no, not so.

After disassembling the shoe, I noticed that there was an aftermarket insole placed inside of the shoe. I should have suspected that, due to the limited space available in the heel cup. Upon pulling it out, I tried walking on the shoe, and it STILL squeaked and squealed. I then pulled the built in intermediate sole, and replaced the aftermarket insole. Voila! The squeaking and squealing were GONE! Completely, a thing of the past...

Make sure that you are properly diagnosing the source of the squeal before worrying about the contact with the floor and the bottom layer of rubber. I am almost positive that most of the time, this is internal and not external, although it sounds exactly like it's coming from the floor.

Jimmy Fingers
www.jimmyfingers.com
admitted male shoe hound

1. What is the origin of the phrase "Is There A Cobbler In The House?"

The phrase "Is There A Cobbler In The House?" originated in the 18th century as a way to ask if there was a shoemaker present who could repair or make shoes. It was commonly used in households where shoes were a valuable and necessary item.

2. Is there a literal cobbler in the phrase or is it a metaphor?

The phrase is a metaphor, as it is not referring to an actual cobbler or shoemaker. It is used to ask if there is someone present who has the necessary skills or expertise to fix a problem or situation.

3. How is the phrase used in modern times?

In modern times, the phrase is often used in a playful or humorous manner to ask if there is someone present who can fix a problem or situation. It can also be used as a way to ask for help or assistance in a lighthearted way.

4. Is the phrase only used for shoe-related problems?

No, the phrase can be used in a variety of contexts and is not limited to shoe-related problems. It can be used to ask for help or assistance with any type of problem or situation that requires a specific skill or expertise.

5. Is the phrase used in other languages?

Yes, variations of the phrase can be found in other languages such as "¿Hay un zapatero en la casa?" in Spanish and "Est-ce qu'il y a un cordonnier dans la maison?" in French. However, the phrase may not have the same cultural significance or history in these languages as it does in English.