PEM Fuel Cells vs Batteries: Understanding the Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of harnessing all the electricity produced in a certain current using a longer electric current. The topic of hydrogen and oxygen's reaction and its connection to electricity production is also explored, including the possibility of using ionized hydrogen for combustion. The expert clarifies that both current and combustion can happen, but not at the same time, and that electrolyzing water to produce hydrogen serves the purpose of storing electrical energy. In the end, it is concluded that a circuit is necessary for electricity production and that combining hydrogen and oxygen does not directly produce electricity.
manp
hi I've got to do a project for college and need some direction I want to know a few things more so if you can help let me know.

some of the things include (if you could answer any it would be useful):

why can't we make a longer electric current to harness all the electricity produced in a certain current (please see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell and image 'scheme of proton...')
what happens to the hydrogen if we don't allow it to mix with the oxygen (and instead forward it for a combustion process, can we do this? I mean can ionised hydrogen be lit, I know hydrogen and oxygen can be burned but how come this doesn't make water straight upon introduction to each other such as in a typical hydrogen fuel cell and instead after the combustion, it doesn't make sense)
is electricity made on hydrogen and oxygen reacting together to make water or is it made through the electrons being passed through the circuit (or both)

please don't mind if these questions don't make any sense I'm really trying to learn and ask the questions which don't make sense to me. thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
manp said:
hi I've got to do a project for college and need some direction I want to know a few things more so if you can help let me know.

some of the things include (if you could answer any it would be useful):

why can't we make a longer electric current to harness all the electricity produced in a certain current (please see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell and image 'scheme of proton...')
We can.

what happens to the hydrogen if we don't allow it to mix with the oxygen (and instead forward it for a combustion process, can we do this? I mean can ionised hydrogen be lit, I know hydrogen and oxygen can be burned but how come this doesn't make water straight upon introduction to each other such as in a typical hydrogen fuel cell and instead after the combustion, it doesn't make sense)
Ionized hydrogen is another name for acid. In this case it exists as the acid form of the membrane material itself. The ionized hydrogen is made at the same rate that it combines with oxygen to make water and the two processes cannot be decoupled, so this represents a slow type of combustion where the electron transfer between hydrogen and oxygen is harnessed to do work across some useful electric load rather than going entirely into heat where it is inefficiently used to do useful work.
is electricity made on hydrogen and oxygen reacting together to make water or is it made through the electrons being passed through the circuit (or both)
Electrons have to go through the circuit to make water, so the best answer is both.

chemisttree said:
We can.

Ionized hydrogen is another name for acid. In this case it exists as the acid form of the membrane material itself. The ionized hydrogen is made at the same rate that it combines with oxygen to make water and the two processes cannot be decoupled, so this represents a slow type of combustion where the electron transfer between hydrogen and oxygen is harnessed to do work across some useful electric load rather than going entirely into heat where it is inefficiently used to do useful work.

Electrons have to go through the circuit to make water, so the best answer is both.

Thank you very much for your response, really appreciate it. So what I've understood so far from the replies of my question is that both current and combustion cannot happen as it is more or less the same thing (i.e. current is a form of slow combustion)
However, I wanted to know more in the case of the harnessing electricity, basically I've appreciated that electrolysis (giving out electric into water ie using up) and combination of oxygen and hydrogen (giving back electric ie allows us to gain) equals 0 (0 being a simple term as I don't know the correct term for this), so there is no point of trying to make electricity like this; however, if we pass electrons through a circuit wouldn't this give us extra electricity to utilise? ie (combination + current passage) - (electrolysis) = 1 (again 1 being used just for illustration).

manp said:
Thank you very much for your response, really appreciate it. So what I've understood so far from the replies of my question is that both current and combustion cannot happen as it is more or less the same thing (i.e. current is a form of slow combustion)
I don't understand how you con conclude that both cannot happen after I told you that both do.

However, I wanted to know more in the case of the harnessing electricity, basically I've appreciated that electrolysis (giving out electric into water ie using up) and combination of oxygen and hydrogen (giving back electric ie allows us to gain) equals 0 (0 being a simple term as I don't know the correct term for this), so there is no point of trying to make electricity like this; however, if we pass electrons through a circuit wouldn't this give us extra electricity to utilise? ie (combination + current passage) - (electrolysis) = 1 (again 1 being used just for illustration).
You electrolyze water to produce hydrogen which only serves the purpose of storing the electrical energy as chemical energy. Using that hydrogen in a pem cell converts it back into electricity.

sorry I'm still a little puzzled; what I meant from the first comment was that I know both can happen but not at the same time right? I mean we cannot pass it through the current first and do combustion after this.

What I mean from the second comment is that basically the way you explained that electricity is produced, for me it sounded like the electricity is produced purely from combining both the hydrogen and oxygen which can directly be used as a source of electricity what i didn't know was that this still has to pass a circuit to produce a current and therefore use-able electricity.

Now you have it exactly. During combustion, the electrons from atomic orbitals of hydrogen are 'donated' to a new molecular orbital that is part of both the hydrogen atom and that of oxygen. In effect, the electrons of hydrogen have flowed from an orbital exclusive to hydrogen to an orbital that includes oxygen. That is combustion described purely from the standpoint of what happens to the electrons in the process. The PEM cell intercepts those electrons, flows them through a load circuit (to do useful work) and they wind up in the same place... a molecular orbital of the new oxygen/hydrogen combination. The proton exchange membrane prevents the neutral hydrogen and oxygen from coming in contact but it allows the ionized form of hydrogen to pass through. So neutral hydrogen is ionized, the electron from that process is passed through a circiut and winds up on the oxygen side of the membrane along with the ionized hydrogen. For the process to work, the electron and the ionized hydrogen must find a way over to the oxygen side of the membrane. The electron's path is via a conductor and the proton's path is via the membrane. They both must arrive together on the other side of the membrane with the oxygen for the process to continue. If something stops either the ionized proton (membrane failure) or the the electron (open circuit or an infinite load), they cannot both arrive together and produce a molecule of water.

thank you very much for your help, I completely understand it now, it should be easier for me to carry out my project. Thanks again

1. What is a PEM fuel cell and how does it work?

A PEM fuel cell, or Proton Exchange Membrane fuel cell, is a type of electrochemical device that converts hydrogen and oxygen into electricity through a chemical reaction. In a PEM fuel cell, hydrogen gas is directed towards the anode (negative electrode) and oxygen gas towards the cathode (positive electrode). The two gases then react with a catalyst and an electrolyte membrane to produce electricity, water, and heat.

2. What is the main difference between PEM fuel cells and batteries?

The main difference between PEM fuel cells and batteries is their energy source. Batteries store chemical energy within themselves, whereas PEM fuel cells rely on an external source of fuel, such as hydrogen gas. Additionally, batteries can only be used until their stored energy is depleted, whereas PEM fuel cells can continue to produce electricity as long as they have a supply of fuel and oxygen.

3. Which is more efficient, PEM fuel cells or batteries?

PEM fuel cells are generally more efficient than batteries. This is because the chemical reactions in a PEM fuel cell are not limited by the capacity of the cell itself, as in the case of batteries. Additionally, PEM fuel cells can convert a higher percentage of the energy in their fuel into electricity compared to batteries, which experience energy loss through heat and other factors.

4. Are PEM fuel cells or batteries better for the environment?

In terms of environmental impact, PEM fuel cells are generally considered to be more environmentally friendly than batteries. This is because PEM fuel cells produce electricity without any harmful emissions, while batteries require the mining and production of materials that can have a negative impact on the environment.

5. Which is more suitable for different applications, PEM fuel cells or batteries?

The choice between PEM fuel cells and batteries depends on the specific application and its requirements. Batteries are better suited for smaller, portable devices, while PEM fuel cells are better for larger, stationary applications where a continuous supply of electricity is needed. Additionally, batteries have a limited lifespan and need to be replaced, while PEM fuel cells can continue to produce electricity as long as fuel and oxygen are supplied.