1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a formula for this?

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1
    so lets say |a| = 30. How many left cosets of <a^4> in <a> are there?

ok, so |a| = 30. and think I need to find the order of <a^4> also. I thought the order of it is

<a^4> = e, a^4, a^8, a^12, a^16, a^20, a^24, a^28. so it has order of 8. but my book said the order of it is 15....

is there a formula they used to figure this out?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2
    <a^4> can't have an order of 8 - that would violate Lagrange's theorem.

You've simply forgotten some elements, for example, (a^4)^8 = a^(32) = a^2 is in <a^4>.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  4. Dec 13, 2004 #3

ok. I still dont really know and cant find the answer. Is there a formula or theorm that states the order of a^n?

5. Dec 13, 2004 #4
    Why can't you find the answer? Just continue like you did, but instead of stopping listing elements when you reach (a^4)^7, continue. It will eventuelly start to repeat.

It's relatively easy to see that the order of a^4 is 15, since (a^4)^k = e <=> a^(4k) = e is equivalent to "|a| divides 4k", i.e. "30 divides 4k" (and the smallest solution to that is k = 15).

6. Dec 13, 2004 #5
    ah...ok, I get what you mean now....thanx..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?