Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a generalization to this ?

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    Is there a generalization to this ??

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} f(n)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx f(x) ( \sum_{m=-\infty}^{\infty} exp(2\pi i m) [/tex]

if we consider that the expression [tex] \sum_{n}e^{2i \pi m} [/tex] is the trace (??) or whatever of a certain operator U (unitary) [tex] U=exp(iH) [/tex]

so 'H' has an spectrum [tex] E_{n}=n [/tex] (Harmonic oscillator) then could it be generalized to include the 'Trace' of any H or even integral operator ??

so it would read:

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} f(n)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx f(x) \mathcal Tr[e^{2i\pi H}] [/tex]

EDIT: = As a generalization i believe that

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} f(E_{n})= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx f(x) \mathcal Tr[e^{2ix\pi H}] [/tex]

has this identity been discovered before ?? or i am the first to realize about this?, as always note that for the Harmonic Hamiltonian we recover usual Poisson sum formula

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted