Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a globle time ?

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    Is there a globle time !?

When I refer to time ,I mean the (tick, tock) clock type!
    eg: it's 10:11 Friday morning 03-09-2004
    I first considered this Q. in my teens. When on my first big adventure out into the world. I flew from one part of the world to another. There was a connecting flight in a third part of the world with a two hour layover.
    On landing in the stopover airport I was surprised that although I literal had a two hour wait for my connecting flight. I had in fact landed an hour after I took off on my connecting flight.
    :uhh: come to think of it, I haven't worn a wrist wach since! I don't really keep track of what day it is either! It really doesn't matter. Or does it?
    Don't get me wrong I keep appointments and I am more often than not early. I eat when I am hungry and sleep when I'm tiered. But time as something I register! NO not really. I often only realise it's late because I've forgotten to buy milk and the shops closed. ( I drink to much coffee any how),so no matter!
    Another point
    When I'm on the net (as I am) chatting to someone ,whose time zone may be ten hours in front or behind of mine. Am i surposed to belive that Im sending or receiving messages from or to the past/future!
    I think not. all that counts is 'here' and 'now'. :bugeye:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2
    I don't think there can ever be a global time. At least not perfectly accurate.

Think about this: It's 10:00 here. Even if we synchronise EVERY place on Earth, there'll be a slight delay (due to the distances). So it's impossible to have perfectly synchronised time everywhere.

That's why we should revert to the old systems of sundials; using the sun to tell the time. Then we don't have to be accurate! :biggrin:
  4. Sep 3, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our current system IS based (more or less) on sundials. The sun rises in the morning, reaches a maximum altitude around mid-day, and sets in the evening. Of course, if you lived in Rekjavik or Murmansk, you never really used a sundial in the first place.

If you did have a universal Global Time, then you'd have the sun rising at midnight in, say China and at mid-day in the US.
  5. Sep 3, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Sep 3, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

Time has always been a local phenomena based on the sun. Until the advent of rail travel, this wasn't an issue - time zones were invented largely to reconcile train scheduling in the 1800s. GMT became the referrence point for the time zones, but really has been the basis for much longer than that (though the French would disagree).

Matter, I'm not sure I understand your problem. If, for example, everyone synchronized their watches to GMT, that wouldn't be an improvement because the times of day are based on the position of the sun. Imagine the confusion if you went traveling - you would have no idea what time to get up in the morning. You wouldn't even know when "morning" was!
  7. Sep 3, 2004 #6
    Right now,
    it is 11:44
    in Japan,
    and he should be
    flying somewhere in
    the sky!
    or he might
    be sleeping in
    some hotel,
    eating or shopping somewhere
    in another country.
    I will leave again
    and this time I
    will leave longer
    than 2 weeks,
    yes, Vienna and Rome,
    you2 are so beautiful in
    my dream, I will
    see you by my own eyes in
    a couple of days
    after he comes back.
    He will, tommorrow he will.
    And I am not allowed
    to visit you again,
    but I will,
    and I will do that on
    October 1st.
    See you, see you, see you again...
  8. Sep 3, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Luckily we have time-zones now, before that every city used to have their own time based on the sun, which led to confusion if you visited a neighbouring city.
  9. Sep 3, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For those who can read it (I'll give a summary later):
  10. Sep 3, 2004 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Monique is right. Greenwich Mean Time (aka Universal Standard Time or ZULU Time) is used in many jobs where you have to have to talk to folks all over the world.

But, speaking of sun dials brings up the point that, even locally, we use mean solar time instead of the true solar time. What will be the longest true solar day of 2004?
  11. Sep 3, 2004 #10
    Usually, our US-Europe-Russia meetings occur at about 9h00am 10h00am US time so that it's the end of the afternoon for us in Europe. Then, if the meetings last too long, american don't care (it's just on their normal job hours). Back in Europe, we often have to stay afterhours because of this. Anyway, physicists always stay afterhours I guess. You know that joke about the physicist that get back home at 2h00 am, lipstick on his face, messy hair, female perfume on him.... and his wife goes : "Don't try to lie. I know you come from the lab" :rolleyes:

This is not a serious question, is it ? :wink:
  12. Sep 3, 2004 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just synchronize your watch to the time displayed on a GPS receiver while you're locked onto the satellites. Thanks to the method GPS uses to figure out where you are, your GPS receiver is likely to be the most accurate time piece you'll ever hold in your hand (at least while it's locked on to some satellites).
  13. Sep 4, 2004 #12
    No mentor!
    I don't have any problems worth mentioning in PF. I was just thinking 'aloud'
    the only Q I had (that was serious) was weather or not there was a Global time and I got the answer for that!
  14. Sep 5, 2004 #13
    And also:

{\rm{ZULU}} \equiv Greenwich

15. Sep 6, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

I always thought that Zulu time was an hour ahead of GMT.
  16. Sep 6, 2004 #15
    I always thought that whatever time it is where ever I am is the time it is, globally. Not that Im the most important person in the world, I'm just the most important person in my world.
  17. Sep 6, 2004 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have hours? To stay afterhours, that implies you have actual regular hours you work...do you really? :bugeye: Aha! Imposter! No REAL scientist would acknowledge such a thing existed as "after" hours! :rofl:
  18. Sep 6, 2004 #17
    You know what : when I come back home after 10 hours or more, I still can't help doing physics. The "Don't try to lie. I know you come from the lab" is a serious concern of mine.

But then, we have hours, because we have those "trade union" (not sure it is the right word) to protect us. If I did not have hours, my boss could force me to stay forever :surprised Once again, I admit that would not really be an issue for me, but for my social life. :yuck:
  19. Sep 6, 2004 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They want to implement a 40 hour work week here in the Netherlands.. everyone is shocked.. that means putting in extra hours :surprised: At my previous position (in the US) I worked from 6 am until 6 pm and sure didn't get paid for all the extra hours :rolleyes:
  20. Sep 6, 2004 #19

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was born in Greenwich. That is why global time is measured from there.
  21. Sep 6, 2004 #20
    Hey Monique, what's up with post #8 ?
    In France we have the so-called 35 hours a week, proposed by the previous governement. It is very good for people who do physically difficult jobs. But it is certainly not applied to engineers or equivalent jobs. Research is a way of life, so Moonbear is totally right. But people who chose their job on income criteria and now have to do the 50-hours must really like money :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?