Is there a link between Faith and fine writing?

In summary: Not the Christian faith per-se, but faith in general. An argument you'll see from them is often "Where is the secular version of The Sistine Chapel?". I think they have a point here...Does anybody here disagree that devotional art tends to be some of the best?
Pythagorean said:
1) it's not just the outline. The internal structure of the brain is well represented to.
Not at all. The whole overlay you posted is forced. The actual shapes in the painting have to be blotted out to make the overlay work.

2) It's not just the shapes he painted, but also that he flayed corpses to study their anatomy.
He may have seen a human brain, but so what?

3) All it can ever be is speculation (since forthcoming would have done a lot of harm to Michelangelo) but there's a lot of evidence suggestive of Michelangelo's disdain for the commission.
It's thoroughly and incontrovertibly documented that he completely hated the job. It wasn't a commission, it was an offer he couldn't refuse. The pope sent armed men to bring him back to Rome. He was completely ticked off at the Pope, not at God. As I demonstrated earlier, he was never secular, ever in his life. He was a kind of fundamentalist/superstitious Catholic, he believed in damnation for sinners, miracles, and the very real wrath of God through floods and other natural disasters. He once left Florence in a hurry when a friend had a series of prophetic visions about the violent overthrow of the ruler of Florence if he didn't atone for his sins. These came true: de Medici was indeed, toppled from power. Michelangelo was, all his life, a true believer.

Anyway, of course I don't know whether the brain was intentional on Michelangelo's part, but I don't think it's as clear-cut a case of pareidolia as you do.
If it wasn't intentional, it wasn't a brain, just compositional drapery.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Not at all. The whole overlay you posted is forced. The actual shapes in the painting have to be blotted out to make the overlay work.

I agree, it looks very forced. Pituitary gland way too big. Likewise ventricles. Sylvian fissure would not be visible like that in cross section. I can't see anything actually suggestive of the cerebellum. Nor corpus callosum. Vertebral artery out of scale. Optic chiasm is just weird. Etc, etc.

But certainly an amusing idea.

apeiron said:
I agree, it looks very forced. Pituitary gland way too big. Likewise ventricles. Sylvian fissure would not be visible like that in cross section. I can't see anything actually suggestive of the cerebellum. Nor corpus callosum. Vertebral artery out of scale. Optic chiasm is just weird. Etc, etc.

I'm not religious but: thank God! Someone who knows what a brain looks like!

apeiron said:

You must be saying this tongue-in-cheek. You're pointing out all things that are actually represented, just not represented perfectly.

That's kind of like:

Hey, that's the President of the USA, right there!
No, it's just some schlub that looks like him.
It looks a lot like him, and he's surrounded by body guards and getting into a diplomatic limo!
No, the president travels with fifteen security guards. I count only twelve; and they're probably not even with him, they're probably all just lawyers headed for the train. Also, the president rides in a Cadillac, never in a Limo. Yep. That's just a guy.

ohhhhh, now I see it... :biggrin:

flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg

DaveC426913 said:
You must be saying this tongue-in-cheek. You're pointing out all things that are actually represented, just not represented perfectly.
Dave there is no cerebellum represented in the painting, nor is there a corpus callosum. And if the painting is supposed to be the interior side of the right hemisphere it looks like everything's been infested with horrible, virulent tumors:

brain-limbic.jpg

The-Creation-of-Adam--detail--1508-.jpg

This is too silly to be worthy of PF. Locked.

<h2>1. Is there scientific evidence to support a link between faith and fine writing?</h2><p>There is limited scientific research on the specific link between faith and fine writing. However, studies have shown that religious beliefs and practices can have a positive impact on cognitive abilities, including language skills and creativity. Additionally, many writers have cited their faith as a source of inspiration and motivation for their writing.</p><h2>2. Does having a strong faith make someone a better writer?</h2><p>There is no definitive answer to this question as writing ability is influenced by a combination of factors such as natural talent, education, and practice. However, having a strong faith can provide a sense of purpose and meaning, which can translate into more meaningful and impactful writing.</p><h2>3. Are there any famous writers who have attributed their success to their faith?</h2><p>Yes, there are many famous writers who have openly discussed the role of their faith in their writing. Some examples include C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Flannery O'Connor, and Maya Angelou. These writers have all mentioned how their religious beliefs have influenced their writing style and subject matter.</p><h2>4. Can faith influence the themes and messages in a writer's work?</h2><p>Absolutely. Many writers use their faith as a source of inspiration for their writing, which can result in themes and messages that reflect their beliefs. For example, a writer with a strong Christian faith may incorporate themes of redemption and forgiveness in their work.</p><h2>5. Is it possible for someone without faith to write fine literature?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for someone without faith to write fine literature. Writing ability is not solely determined by one's religious beliefs. While faith can be a source of inspiration and motivation for some writers, others may find inspiration from different sources such as personal experiences, social issues, or imagination.</p>

1. Is there scientific evidence to support a link between faith and fine writing?

There is limited scientific research on the specific link between faith and fine writing. However, studies have shown that religious beliefs and practices can have a positive impact on cognitive abilities, including language skills and creativity. Additionally, many writers have cited their faith as a source of inspiration and motivation for their writing.

2. Does having a strong faith make someone a better writer?

There is no definitive answer to this question as writing ability is influenced by a combination of factors such as natural talent, education, and practice. However, having a strong faith can provide a sense of purpose and meaning, which can translate into more meaningful and impactful writing.

3. Are there any famous writers who have attributed their success to their faith?

Yes, there are many famous writers who have openly discussed the role of their faith in their writing. Some examples include C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Flannery O'Connor, and Maya Angelou. These writers have all mentioned how their religious beliefs have influenced their writing style and subject matter.

4. Can faith influence the themes and messages in a writer's work?

Absolutely. Many writers use their faith as a source of inspiration for their writing, which can result in themes and messages that reflect their beliefs. For example, a writer with a strong Christian faith may incorporate themes of redemption and forgiveness in their work.

5. Is it possible for someone without faith to write fine literature?

Yes, it is possible for someone without faith to write fine literature. Writing ability is not solely determined by one's religious beliefs. While faith can be a source of inspiration and motivation for some writers, others may find inspiration from different sources such as personal experiences, social issues, or imagination.