1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is There a Math Book Just About Transcendental Functions, Basic to Advanced Math?

1. Dec 28, 2012 #1
    Is there a book that just goes over transcendental functions, from their introduction to advanced use? I'm looking for some more experience with thinking about the functions and gaining some insight into their deep relationships. Thank-you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2012 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which transcendental functions in particular?

4. Dec 28, 2012 #3
    All of them. But I'll take what I can get.

5. Dec 28, 2012 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whittaker and Watson's "Modern Analysis" is a standard treatment. For even more depth, Erdelyi wrote a three volume set called "Higher Transcendental Functions" that is quite comprehensive.

6. Dec 28, 2012 #5
    i think lebedev had one also, on special functions

7. Dec 29, 2012 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Special functions is a name given to the other functions than the so-called elementary ones. A direct connection to the <transcendental> attribute cannot be made, since there are elementary functions which are transcendental and special functions which are not (i.e. are algebraic, for example the orthogonal polynomials).

8. Dec 29, 2012 #7
    whoops, I thought they were just different names for the same class of functions :blushing:

9. Dec 29, 2012 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, actually the subject of special functions is the part of mathematics I like most. Most of the known special functions are particular cases of general hypergeometric functions, especially Gauß ones.

As to the overall value, the 4th (latest, IIRC) edition of Whittaker & Watson should be the gem which would benefit the OP, so I 2nd the reccomendation.

10. Dec 29, 2012 #9
    Thank-you so much for the help. I think the Whittaker/Watson book looks very good. Thank-you.

11. Dec 29, 2012 #10

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whittaker and Watson is now old enough that legal electronic copies can be found online for free:
    http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/details.php?ebook=183

A reader for that book format can be found for free online (don't remember what it is called).

Note that some of the modern "cheap" printings of this book are terrible - they are literally printouts of this electronic copy (which has some pages that are not scanned well). I bought this one and immediately returned it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Course-Modern-Analysis-E-T-Whittaker/dp/1438513909/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

So if you want a hardcopy getting a used copy of an old printing seems to be the way to go. They can be found for cheap, too.

enjoy,

jason

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. Dec 30, 2012 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

<A reader for that book format can be found for free online (don't remember what it is called).>

One can find sources for downloading here http://djvu.org/resources/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook