Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a novice forum here?

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    I am interested in many things but have little formal education. I would like to converse with other people who have questions about the state of things and the universe. Please answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Please state your questions clearly and with as much detail as you can provide, and you will have answers, or at least suggestions as to where you might find answers.

best regards

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    Thank you...I have questions and the most pressing to me are why if space time is curved...such as a donation cone in a mall where you place the penny in the ramp and it spins down into the cone and is eventually sucked into the vortex...why aren't the planets subject to the same fate....and what in the world propels light...?

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the questions that you post, be sure to tell what your level of understanding is (e.g., just state that you're a novice).

Welcome to PF :smile:!

6. Aug 3, 2011 #5
    I am obviously a novice

7. Aug 3, 2011 #6
    I don't even know what PF is

8. Aug 3, 2011 #7
    Lisa can I talk to you directly?

9. Aug 3, 2011 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, here or send me a private message.

"PF" is right here -- Physics Forums :biggrin:.

10. Aug 3, 2011 #9
    Okay...I'm lost here...just wanted some answers..I guess I have to figure out how to use this site. You all seem very intelligent and I will try to get into this so you can help me. Thank you all for your answers so far.

11. Aug 3, 2011 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like, from the questions you posted, your interests are in astronomy. Check out these forums:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2 [Broken]

They may be just what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  12. Aug 3, 2011 #11
    I don't know how to send a private message..my blackberry is ringing with this and I am lost Lisa...

13. Aug 3, 2011 #12
    Okay...I will check that out

14. Aug 3, 2011 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Caution, members beware. If an unknown newbie wants to pm you, or talk outside of the forum or is overly friendly...

Just use common sense. :smile: Until someone has been around for a few months, proceed with caution.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  15. Aug 4, 2011 #14
    wow an internet predator! always wanted one of those!

16. Aug 4, 2011 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well, for one, the penny falls into the donation thing because there is friction and the penny loses energy and falls into the donation thing (also, who puts just a penny in there? :( ). If there were no friction, it would circle the cone forever.

Even then, it's still only an analogy to what space-time actually is. At some point the analogy will fail you so be aware of that

17. Aug 4, 2011 #16

Evo

No, it's just best to be cautious. And we are a forum, which means discussions should be in the forum. Private messages should be for personal correspondance, and beware of people you don't know wanting to talk with you privately right off the bat.

18. Aug 4, 2011 #17
    I thought it was because of gravity! :surprised
    I better spend more time in the physics section.

19. Aug 4, 2011 #18
    thanks mum.

20. Aug 4, 2011 #19

Evo

You're welcome son. Did you brush your teeth this morning?

21. Aug 4, 2011 #20
    Yes.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook