Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a reputable function for the effect of time dilation in special relativity

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    I need some help to answer a question as my physics background, while self taught, still has some holes both from following only specifics and gaps since studying it.

The question is below.

"is there a reputable function for the effect of time dilation in special relativity or is just like a guessing thing. I always assumed that because of the way I think light works (again I'm a game theorist so I could be wrong) that it would have to approach an asymptote at some point. Just kind of curious about it after reading the Forever War by Joe Halderman. "

Something about it smacks me as a relative mash-up just to mess with me.

I'm just trying to answer this without getting it wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: is there a reputable function for the effect of time dilation in special relativi

Time dilation in SR has definite equations for its application. They are important equations for the operation of GPS satellites.

4. May 12, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: is there a reputable function for the effect of time dilation in special relativi

you appear to be referring to the Lorentz equation:
    [tex]\Delta t'= \frac{\Delta t}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

That's pretty definite (and "reputable"). It's also normally one of the first things you learn about relativity. If that's not what you mean, what do you mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook