Is there a simple integration?

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: E-1%2B1%29+%28C%5E-1%29&lr=&v=1&t=soln&c=false&o=20In summary, there seems to be no simple solution to this problem.
MathewsMD
for the problem:

[tex] \int {[(y-1)^3 + C]^{-1/2}}dy [/tex]

Is there a simple solution that can yield an answer? C is a constant. Integration by parts doesn't seem to look helpful (at least to me). Trigonometric substitution looks like one method that would work, though it would involve quite a bit of substitution and it appears it will be messy. Are there any other methods that are simpler and would work well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my solution. I think it suffices in saying that the answer isn't exactly as simplified as it should be. The top is kind of cut out, but it reads

[tex] \frac {1}{c^{1/2}}(y - 1)^{3/2} = u [/tex]

Any help with regards to finding a simpler solution would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• calc.jpg
    calc.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
And the bottom is cut off as well.

You can always verify that an antiderivative is correct by differentiating it. If you wind up with the integrand, then all is well.

Mark44 said:
And the bottom is cut off as well.

You can always verify that an antiderivative is correct by differentiating it. If you wind up with the integrand, then all is well.

The bottom is merely substitution. Yes, verifying with the antiderivative to see if it a solution is one possibility, but I was wondering for a question like this, if there was another method besides trigonometric substitution that would help simplify the integration. Any help is greatly appreciated!

This problem doesn't lend itself easily to a trig substitution, IMO. That type of substitution is most useful when you have a sum or difference of squares, raised to some power. Having a cube in there as you do makes a trig sub less promising. Maybe you can make it work, treating it as a sum of squares -- [(y + 1)3/2]2 + (sqrt(C))2

And maybe that's what you did, but without being able to see it all, I didn't put any time into checking.

Mark44 said:
This problem doesn't lend itself easily to a trig substitution, IMO. That type of substitution is most useful when you have a sum or difference of squares, raised to some power. Having a cube in there as you do makes a trig sub less promising. Maybe you can make it work, treating it as a sum of squares -- [(y + 1)3/2]2 + (sqrt(C))2

And maybe that's what you did, but without being able to see it all, I didn't put any time into checking.

Sorry, I thought I posted this earlier...there must have been some kind of mess-up on my part. This is what I was referring to as revised. The solution doesn't seem to be easily solvable for its coefficients, and trig substation, although messy, seems like the only elementary way to go about the problem, no?

Attachments

• soln.jpg
    soln.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 403
  • soln2.jpg
    soln2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 415
The first attached image, soln.jpg, is blurry and unreadable in part. The second image, soln2.jpg, is cut off again.

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different pieces of information or data to form a more complete understanding or picture of a concept or phenomenon. It involves connecting and synthesizing various elements, such as theories, experiments, and observations, to create a cohesive understanding.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration is important in science because it allows us to make connections and see patterns that we may not have noticed before. It also helps us to build upon existing knowledge and create more comprehensive theories and explanations. Ultimately, integration helps us to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world.

3. Is there a simple way to integrate different scientific disciplines?

Yes, there are various methods for integrating different scientific disciplines. One approach is to use a multidisciplinary or interdisciplinary approach, where researchers from different fields come together to collaborate and combine their expertise. Another method is to use a transdisciplinary approach, where researchers work together to create new concepts or theories that bridge multiple disciplines.

4. How does integration impact the scientific method?

Integration plays a crucial role in the scientific method by allowing scientists to gather and analyze evidence from different sources to support or reject a hypothesis. It also helps to refine and improve scientific theories by incorporating new data and perspectives. Integration ultimately leads to a more robust and accurate understanding of the natural world.

5. What are some challenges of integrating different scientific fields?

Some challenges of integrating different scientific fields include language barriers, differences in methodology and data collection, and conflicting theories or findings. It can also be challenging to find a common ground and effectively communicate ideas between disciplines. However, these challenges can be overcome through open-mindedness, collaboration, and the use of clear and concise language.