1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a simpler way to solve this free fall problem?

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    [​IMG]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (see scanned picture)

2. Relevant equations
    kinematic equations of motion (*under condition that acceleration is constant)

3. The attempt at a solution
    (see scanned picture)
    solved the problem......(please read further)

i was just wondering if there is a more simpler way to attack this problem. only after an hour later (and constantly looking at the equations i can work with) did i have some weird flash of insight to do what i did and just jot things down on the paper until i arrived at the correct answer.

the thing with free fall problems (or any physics problems for that matter) is that it is usually useless to "memorize" a method on solving a particular problem because not all the problems of a certain topic will be the same (i.e. different wording, certain conditions, etc.). that means, if i saw this problem a week later (assume that i did not think about this problem ever since) i would probably be confused and spend an hour again until i get that flash of insight, if at all. not sure if this is normal for you guys, but seems inefficient, especially when you have more homework problems to solve. i can only already see myself on a test day being like this.

just to let you know, the problems in my book have a difficulty range of 1 dot to 3 dots. this was a 2 dot problem. (sad face)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Hint: The displacement in the last second... is the displacement over t seconds (assuming t is the time it takes to fall) - displacement over the first (t-1) seconds.

That gives you a way to find the time t of the fall... then you can get h.

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Because of the sort of information given in the problem, there isn't a good way to avoid needing to solve for the time; the "velocity-squared" equation won't tell you enough. learningphysics's hint is essentially what you need to do. But you can simplify the work by saying that after t seconds, (1/2)g(t^2) = (h-38) and that after one more second, (1/2)g([t+1]^2) = h . If you substitute the second equation into the first and multiply out the binomial-square, the (1/2)g(t^2) cancels out and you only need to solve a *linear* equation for t . Putting this value into your second equation then gives h.

BTW, your answer is correct and this method will corroborate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?