Is there a theorem that says

• Thread starter mcah5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the statement \frac {d} {dt} \int_{a}^{b} f(x,t) dx = \int_{a}^{b} \frac {\delta} {\delta t} f(x,t) dx is true when f and \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} are continuous. This is an example of interchanging limits, but it should be noted that this can't be done in general. A proof for this statement can be found in the appendix or page 245 of the Bartle textbook. Additionally, it should be noted that the notation \frac{\delta}{\delta g} typically denotes a functional derivative, while \frac{\partial}{\partial t} is the
mcah5
[tex] \frac {d} {dt} \int_{a}^{b} f(x,t) dx = \int_{a}^{b} \frac {\delta} {\delta t} f(x,t) dx [/tex]

From trial and error, it seems true but I can't find it in my textbook anywhere. Am I missing something obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is true provided f and [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex] are continuous. This is an example of interchanging limits. Be careful about doing that because in general you can't. This borders on advanced calculus, but my regular calc textbook gives a proof in the appendix. Maybe yours does too.

There's a very thorough proof on page 245 of the Bartle if you have access to one of those. Also, note that as a notational thing
[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta g}
[/tex]
usually denotes a functional derivative, while what you want is \partial, not \delta in LaTeX, like
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}
[/tex]

Ok, thanks. Just needed to confirm that the statement was true (my physics textbook used it in a proof and never justified the statement, so I wanted to make sure)

This is only true though when the bounds (a & b) are held constant, correct? I mean, if they were a=u(x) and b=v(x), the limits couldn't be switched.

If the limits themselves are also functions of t, the theorem (called Leibniz integral rule, IIRC) is:

[tex]\frac {d} {dt} \int_{a(t)}^{b(t)} f(x,t) dx = f(b(t),t)\frac{d b}{d t}-f(a(t),t)\frac{d a}{d t}+\int_{a(t)}^{b(t)} \frac {\partial} {\partial t} f(x,t) dx [/tex]

I know a sufficient condition for this to hold is that f be uniformly continuous in the region of interest.

1. Is there a theorem that says "all angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees"?

Yes, this is known as the Triangle Sum Theorem and it states that the sum of all angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. This theorem is a fundamental concept in geometry and is often used in problem-solving and proofs involving triangles.

2. Is there a theorem that says "the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides in a right triangle"?

Yes, this is known as the Pythagorean Theorem and it states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem has numerous applications in geometry, trigonometry, and physics.

3. Is there a theorem that says "two parallel lines cut by a transversal will create congruent alternate interior angles"?

Yes, this is known as the Alternate Interior Angles Theorem and it states that when two parallel lines are cut by a transversal (a line that intersects both lines), the alternate interior angles formed will be congruent (equal in measure). This theorem is often used in geometry and proofs involving parallel lines.

4. Is there a theorem that says "the volume of a cylinder is equal to the product of its base area and height"?

Yes, this is known as the Cylinder Volume Theorem and it states that the volume of a cylinder (a 3-dimensional shape with circular bases) is equal to the product of its base area (the area of the circular base) and its height. This theorem is used in geometry and in real-life applications such as calculating the volume of cylindrical objects.

5. Is there a theorem that says "the derivative of a constant multiplied by a function is equal to the constant multiplied by the derivative of the function"?

Yes, this is known as the Constant Multiple Rule and it is a fundamental rule in calculus. It states that when differentiating a function that is multiplied by a constant, the constant can be moved outside the derivative. This rule is often used in finding derivatives of more complex functions.