Is there a theory of everything?

In summary: There is no unique theory of everything because the universe is too big and too complex for any one theory to encompass all of its facts.-- Tegmark argues that any theory that claims to be comprehensive must have an explanatory power greater than zero, but that any such theory would be false because it could not account for the existence of anything.In summary, the author argues that the "theory of everything" is an empty phrase because there is no theory that is comprehensive enough to encompass all of the facts about the universe.
robheus
Here is an argument against the idea that there can exist a "theory of everything".

Consider the trivial true and false theories, which explain every fact about the universe, the universe being defined as all those things (events,entities,etc.) that exist/that can be a cause:

Trivial true: everything in the universe is caused by something(s) inside the universe.

Trivial false: everything in the universe is caused by something(s) outside the universe.

As can be seen, both "theories" have explenatory power equal to zero, and are just each other's complement.

Any real theory though should have an explenatary power greater then zero, or would be meaningless.
This would mean for such a theory, it could not explain all facts or be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
robheus said:
Trivial false: everything in the universe is caused by something(s) outside the universe.

The flaw here is the definition of 'universe'. Because as far as I see it, 'everything' is equivalent to 'universe'. And what we all have trouble understanding or comprehending is: HOW did everything (all those things) get here/there in the first/whatever place?

robheus said:
Here is an argument against the idea that there can exist a "theory of everything".

Consider the trivial true and false theories, which explain every fact about the universe, the universe being defined as all those things (events,entities,etc.) that exist/that can be a cause:

Trivial true: everything in the universe is caused by something(s) inside the universe.

As can be seen, both "theories" have explenatory power equal to zero, and are just each other's complement.

Any real theory though should have an explenatary power greater then zero, or would be meaningless.
This would mean for such a theory, it could not explain all facts or be wrong.
??You give two "theories" that explain nothing and immediately jump to the conclusion that any theory must either not explain everything or must be wrong. How does that follow?

I don't get how what you posted are theories. They're just claims of what you think the universe is based on without any proof at all.

There are no /bases/ for your suppositions. I don't even get how your methods are valid in voiding present-day theories regarding the universe.

Kenny_L said:
The flaw here is the definition of 'universe'. Because as far as I see it, 'everything' is equivalent to 'universe'. And what we all have trouble understanding or comprehending is: HOW did everything (all those things) get here/there in the first/whatever place?

Everything is a bit broader concept, I think, because 'universe' is only the physical aspect of it.
There are also abstract things, which don't exist in physical forms.

Your question about 'how did everything get here' is basically a questions about what substance the world consists of, because the way you can answer the first question, depends on how you answered the latter answer. And the principal choice for that is either matter or mind (consciousness).

When contemplating this, I could of course form the opinion that the basic substance of the world is my own consciousness (the real reality would then be my own consciousness, the world outside of my consciousness would then just be the imagined reality).

This position however rises two problems: the first one is that there are other minds. the second one is that I have no eternal past memory, in fact it totally fades away at an age of about 4 years.

From outside sources however I know the world was already there before my consciousness started.

From this contradiction, the only possible resolution to that was to assume that not consciousness, but the (material) world itself was the fundamental thing, and that even consciousness has to be based on the material world. Being fundamental or essential to the world, this in fact means that there is no 'begin' to it, since only non-fundamental things have a begin.

HallsofIvy said:
??You give two "theories" that explain nothing and immediately jump to the conclusion that any theory must either not explain everything or must be wrong. How does that follow?

I should add a middle step there, yes. Any "real" theory is somewhere in between the trivial false and trivial true theory, excluding the trivial false and true theories.

Why is there something instead of nothing?

I don't know the ultimate answer, but my point of view is that any mathematical structure that is consistent (non-contradictory) exist as such (it exist as a logical structure just by being possible).

From nothing, the empty set exist.
From there you can build the integers, and all other numbers, and everything else.
From nothing everything.

This interesting article expand on this:
-- Max Tegmark, Is the "theory of everything" merely the ultimate ensemble theory?
-- Published in Annals of Physics, 270, 1-51 (1998).
-- http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/toe.pdf

This is interesting but the really non-trivial step is
alphachapmtl said:
From nothing, the empty set exist.
because this requires a conscious being to think about it. :smile:

I missed the original conversation. I'll answer robheus anyway. Let me construct a TOE following Feynman (I love this argument)

Make a list of all fundamental laws. There are both of the form "left member equal right member", let them be indexed by [itex]i\in {\text{fundamental laws}}[/itex]. So we can write [itex]A_i=B_i[/itex]. Now push back everything to the left [itex]A_i-B_i=0[/itex]. Finally, sum all squares, and lo and behold the TOE :
[tex]\sum_i \left(A_i-B_i\right)^2=0[/tex] :rofl:

1. What is a theory of everything?

A theory of everything is a hypothetical framework that seeks to explain and unite all physical aspects of the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest structures, under one set of fundamental laws or principles.

2. Why do scientists seek a theory of everything?

Scientists seek a theory of everything because it would provide a complete understanding of the universe and how it works. It would also allow for the prediction and manipulation of physical phenomena, leading to potential advancements in technology and deeper insights into the fundamental nature of reality.

3. Is a theory of everything possible?

While many scientists and physicists believe that a theory of everything is possible, it has not yet been achieved. The search for a theory of everything is an ongoing effort, and it is uncertain if and when it will be fully realized.

4. How would a theory of everything be tested?

A theory of everything would be tested through a combination of theoretical and experimental methods. Theoretical physicists would use mathematical models to make predictions about physical phenomena, and experimentalists would test these predictions through experiments and observations. If the theory accurately predicts and explains a wide range of physical phenomena, it would be considered a successful theory of everything.

5. What are some current theories of everything?

Some current theories of everything include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and the theory of everything proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking. However, none of these theories have been conclusively proven or widely accepted as the ultimate theory of everything.