Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a way to delete or edit posts?

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    There are some things that I have said that I wish I wouldn't have. Is there any way to change this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2
    It seams like you are able to edit/delete your latest post, not the rest. (The button is right next to the quote-button).

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can edit your post during only a specific amount of time. Some user abused the editing option and some measure had to be taken.

If you want to edit something, ask a mentor.

5. Feb 7, 2005 #4
    How do you abuse the editing option?

6. Feb 7, 2005 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He went back and edited out all of the posts he ever made, basically ruining the flow of conversation in dozens of threads.

Kingnothing, if there is something you really think needs to be changed, you can send a PM to the moderator of the forum where the thread resides, and ask him or her to change it.

I've done this once or twice for members, and I'm sure none of the other moderators would have a problem doing the same.

7. Feb 7, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll just add one caveat to that suggestion. They'll get tired of editing for you if it's needed often, so if you find yourself frequently saying something you wish you hadn't, take a few moments longer to think through what you're saying before hitting "submit reply."

8. Feb 7, 2005 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That'd be 24 hours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?