Is there a way to easily rename an academic pdf to author names+year+title?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for easily renaming academic PDF files. The use of Zotero is suggested but is not able to find names for half of the files. Other options such as manually renaming files and using Adobe Bridge or Mendeley are mentioned. The idea of writing a script using regular expressions and Python libraries is also suggested, but it is noted that there may already be a system in place for organizing papers called bibtex.
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean as opposed to right click on the file, rename, and type in whatever you want the file to be called?

Yes true

Adobe Bridge. Batch rename.

If you download Mendeley (free for all OS) you can easily search and sort your papers by year, authors, title, keywords, and more.

You could write a script that goes into the file, write some regular expressions to figure out what the author/title/whatever really is, then simply rename the file to those variables. I think it's somewhat straightforward, although I'll be honest I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to read a PDF document. There must be some Python libraries to do that for you though. It's worth looking into I think.

EDIT: There's something called bibtex that my professor recommended to me once to store all of the papers I wanted to. I think the system is largely already in place, so probably my above comment wouldn't be the best use of your time.

1. Can I use a software to easily rename an academic pdf to author names+year+title?

Yes, there are several software programs available that allow you to bulk rename files, including PDFs. Some popular options include Adobe Acrobat, PDF Renamer, and Bulk Rename Utility.

2. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to rename an academic pdf in this format?

No, you do not need any special skills or knowledge. The software programs mentioned above are user-friendly and typically have step-by-step instructions to guide you through the renaming process.

3. Is there a specific order in which the author names, year, and title should be included in the new file name?

The most common format for renaming academic PDFs is author names followed by the publication year and then the title of the article. However, you can customize the order to your preference.

4. Will renaming the PDF affect the contents or quality of the file?

No, renaming the PDF will not affect the contents or quality of the file. It simply changes the file name for easier organization and identification.

5. Can I rename multiple PDFs at once using the software programs?

Yes, most software programs allow you to bulk rename multiple files at once. This can save you a lot of time and effort, especially if you have a large number of PDFs to rename.