Is there a word for this?

• Thread starter pergradus
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm wondering if there is a word for this kind of situation (and I'm not saying I'm in this situation personally)...

If two people are in love, but they must keep it a secret because one of them is not supposed to be with the other, what do you call that? It's a one sided affair - it's only an issue for one person, but still it must be kept secret.

Surely the french have a word for this. Anyone know?

Answers and Replies

It depends on why the other person should not be in the relationship. One word I can think of is an affair...

If the person need not to be there is married, then this is simply cheating. So, depend on the circumstances.

No neither are married or in a relationship with another person...

Evo
Mentor
No neither are married or in a relationship with another person...
You mean as in Romeo and Juliet? A problem with familiy, religion, social status, etc...?

256bits
Gold Member
Sounds like something out of a Harlequin Romance novel.

Or, Robin Hood and Marian?
Lancelot and Guinevere?

Maybe "courtly love" fits the bill.

Or "erotomania", if you are kind of nutty.

You mean as in Romeo and Juliet? A problem with familiy, religion, social status, etc...?
Yea pretty much, though it's really only a problem for one person, but I guess that doesn't really matter. I'm just trying to figure out what to call it.

it's called Hemingway's "a sun also rises"!

I like Serena
Homework Helper
Yea pretty much, though it's really only a problem for one person, but I guess that doesn't really matter. I'm just trying to figure out what to call it.
Calling it a one-sided affair or one-sided relationship seems to cover it. :)

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Star-crossed?
In 'Romeo and Juliet' Shakespeare uses this term, meaning their love is affected by external forces, an astrologically malign star, more perhaps, destined to tragedy. This might apply as much to one as to both being afflicted to the same end. This has also, for example, described an Arabic story, 'Layla and Majnun', where in a common version, the problem lies only with Majnun's circumstances.

Dembadon
Gold Member
Are you really looking for a single, French word to describe the predicament? If it doesn't have to be French, will you accept a phrase, or do you literally mean a word?

I'm wondering if there is a word for this kind of situation (and I'm not saying I'm in this situation personally)...

If two people are in love, but they must keep it a secret because one of them is not supposed to be with the other, what do you call that? It's a one sided affair - it's only an issue for one person, but still it must be kept secret.

Surely the french have a word for this. Anyone know?
L'Amour Interdit: Forbidden Love.

Evo
Mentor
Dembadon
Gold Member
Hmm that's pretty close, how do you pronounce it?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm that's pretty close, how do you pronounce it?
Something like,

LA-moor AHN-tair-dee

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Nice. I see I missed some of the requirements

256bits
Gold Member
Nice. I see I missed some of the requirements
Not really. You mentioned "tradegy" in your previous post. The OP gives no references, so we can not be sure as to what manner he would be using the term. Tragic love would also be a desciption as the storyline could be described that way. Affair of the heart, affaire de coeur, courtly love, illicit affair.

To me fordidden love has connotations of the fordidden fruit, the original sin, which leads to the tragedy that befals the human race, so we have gone full circle.

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Not really. You mentioned "tradegy" in your previous post. The OP gives no references, so we can not be sure as to what manner he would be using the term. Tragic love would also be a desciption as the storyline could be described that way. Affair of the heart, affaire de coeur, courtly love, illicit affair.

To me fordidden love has connotations of the fordidden fruit, the original sin, which leads to the tragedy that befals the human race, so we have gone full circle.
Thanks 256bits, and really nice circular thoughts.

Awww i OP i can think of one such situation where the issue was that one set of parents was deeply cultural/religious and forbid their son from marrying the love of his life; he hid it for a while, but eventually had to give in to the arranged marriage his parents chose for him.
It happens a lot. Not sure what situation you're referring to but i love the aforementioned french word :-)